Exotic Blanks Jr Series Bushings (Magnetic or Non-Magnetic and why?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings all, I suppose I could have asked directly to Exotic Blanks, but I thought I would start out here to take advantage of the vast knowledge base in the IAP community. My question is mostly out of curiosity, but a little technical as well.

Exotic blanks sells two different sets of "Jr II Series" bushings. One is just titled as bushings, but the other one includes "Non Magnetic" in the title. It is also a dollar less expensive than the other set. Are there any specific benefits of one or the other? I have an order ready to go for some Diamond Knurl Rollerball kits and I want to order the best or most appropriate bushings.

Regards,
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are there JR series kits that use the magnetic cap. If so then only 2 bushings are needed. No reason material of bushings to be a difference that would not make sense. Best to ask Ed.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you know, I specialize in honest answers.

We had a bunch of bushings made, so we could lower the unit cost--that was the plan.
Then, when we received them, we found out they were non-magnetic (when I turn pens, I store
the bushings in a magnetic dish--they fell to the ground).

So, we now have both styles. Sometimes product development is very unplanned on my part!!

Hope that helps,

Ed

egnald

As you know, I specialize in honest answers.

We had a bunch of bushings made, so we could lower the unit cost--that was the plan.
Then, when we received them, we found out they were non-magnetic (when I turn pens, I store
the bushings in a magnetic dish--they fell to the ground).

So, we now have both styles. Sometimes product development is very unplanned on my part!!

Hope that helps,

Ed
Thanks Ed,
That pretty much aligns with what my speculation was, essentially different manufacturers. I have the "regular" one's in my cart. Just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be getting the "Non Magnetic" because they were better somehow - kind of like your superior and improved Cigar bushings. - Dave

PS I already have lots of Jr series bushings, but I like to keep them and label them specific to the pen kit. So I have a set for Aaron, a set for Statesman, George, Harold... etc.

Last edited:

egnald

If they're non-ferrous, then what metal are they made of?
Most likely some grade of stainless steel. Although it still has a high iron content, stainless has some amount of austinite that is non magnetic. Austinite is basically a high carbon steel that goes non magnetic when it is heated to about 1000 degrees F.

Dave

Woodchipper

Different grades of stainless steel are influenced by magnets, other are not. I sold restaurant supplies for about four years. One company made a lid for a 44 gallon trash can that had a magnetic ring in the opening. Schools and anyone who used low grades of SS would have the silverware caught in the ring if tossed with the garbage. I have seen a knife thrown from about 6 feet and it was caught.

egnald

If I remember correctly we used to use 304 Stainless which is one of the most magnetic grades. We also used 316 which was one of the least magnetic. I think it had a lot to do with the amount of nickel in the alloy. - Dave

qquake

Most likely some grade of stainless steel. Although it still has a high iron content, stainless has some amount of austinite that is non magnetic. Austinite is basically a high carbon steel that goes non magnetic when it is heated to about 1000 degrees F.

Dave
Ah, I didn't think about stainless.

Top Bottom