Exotic Blanks Beautiful Pen WINNERS!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Congratulations to all who entered. All of you made some great pens.

The poll has closed and we are ready to announce the WINNERS!

So with out further ado.

The 3rd Place Winner

Pen #5 .... With 57 votes

By RichF (Rich Fricken)

DSC03643.JPG

2nd Place Winner

Pen #1 With 62 votes

By dalecamino (Charles Hutchings)

IMG_1410.JPG

And The FIrst Place Winner

Pen #3 with 82 votes

By parklandturner (Ed McDonnell)

Bash_Advanced_1_1695.jpg

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well, they say that, 2nd place is the first loser.:rolleyes: But, I'll take it:biggrin: First, I'd like to thank all those who voted for my pen. Thanks to Jeff for this great site. Thanks to Mike Redburn for chairing this contest, and special thanks to Exotic Blanks for their sponsorship.

Congratulations to Ed for taking the Blue Ribbon :biggrin: Beautiful pen. The competition was scary tough, and all the contestants submitted some outstanding creations.

Ed McDonnell

Well, this made my day!! Thanks to Mike for the great job running the contest. Thanks to Ed and Dawn for sponsoring it. Thanks to all the competitors for the really tough competition. Thanks to all who voted, especially those who made the right choice:rolleyes:!!

Ed

OKLAHOMAN

When I voted I wished I lived in Chicago and wanted to vote and vote often,because they all derserved a vote, congratulation to all and Ed, you did have my vote.

RichF

Congrats to Dale and Ed. I will happily take 3rd place. Thanks to everyone who voted for my entry.

Many thanks to Mike for all the work running this. No doubt you would have been in the top 3 had you participated.

Ed and Dawn thank you for sponsoring this event and giving all of us an opportunity to show off our work.

All of the pens produced for this competition were outstanding. Everyone who entered is a winner.

Rich

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Congrats to all the winners and all who entered. There was a really great bunch of pens this year. Competetion is really getting tough. Ed's really stood out from the pack. Big thanks to the planners for adding this one to the mix.

PR_Princess

When I first saw the pens posted on this contest, like many of you. I couldn't believe it. The display of artistry and talent here just blew me away.

I want to thank each of the participants for taking the time to enter and show us your amazing creations. Each and every one of you all are true artisans - and winners in my book!

To Ed, Chuck and Rich..Congratulations!! Your pens are breathtaking, I would be proud to own any of them! Each of you should have received your code by now. As I explained in the PM, each GC is slight more ($150/100/75) than what was originally posted on the contest thread. (I didn't think anyone would mind!)

Finally a big thank you to MikeR, and the judges for doing an outstanding (and very tough) job!

jcm71

Congrats to the winners and to all who participated. Don't know how many votes mine got, but I have a clear idea of what to shoot for next year, both in pen making and photography. BZ everyone.

Last edited:

yaroslaw

Congratulations for winners!

Now, am I the only one who wants tutorial on most pens participated in contest?:) Especially I'd love to know how was made my favorite, Rich's pen:)

John Den

[FONT=&quot]Well---------It's taken a day but I'm over the disappointment in not making the first 3!
Thinking about it rationally it was pretty marvellous becoming a finalist with my first kitless ever. It's taken me about 6 months since I started making the taps and dies that took so long to get working (Especially the triple start)
I nearly gave up so many times as I hit one snag after another.
By Christmas I'd pretty well parked it as too difficult.
The bash made me try again - there is nothing like a deadline to fire up the adrenalin.
The clip gave me major problems but I finally managed one that looked passable and fulfilled my "Spec".
So now I can finally say:-
Many, Many thanks to the sponsors and organizers that made this pen possible to complete. I'm carrying it daily in my shirt pocket and am absolutely thrilled with it.
Regards from a unplaced, but extremely happy, finalist,
John[/FONT]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gentlemen, you may not have been on IAP long enough to realize this is one of the reasons that these advanced penmakers STOPPED showing their work. (Requests for tutorials)

If you have the talent to play a concert piano and a novice asks, "How do you do that"?
What would you say??
PRACTICE!! DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS!! Then, you might be able to understand the explanation, were the pianist willing to undertake to explain his expertise.

So it is with penmakers. Because you have the ability to make extraordinary pens, it does NOT follow that you are a gifted writer or teacher. NOR does it follow that you want to explain the techniques that have taken you years of failures to develop.

ADMIRE these pens. None of them is magic---look at the pen and determine how it might have been made. REVERSE engineering is MUCH easier than developing a design, one concept at a time.

Let's try not to drive our best pen-makers back into hiding!!! We (the IAP) have been through this before---learn from our mistakes!!

Thanks for reading,
ed

Last edited:

scottwood

Great work, beautiful pens. Congratulations to the winners! Lets not forget all the other excellent entries, winner's one and all.

Scott Stillwell
(scottwood)

brownsfn2

If you have the talent to play a concert piano and a novice asks, "How do you do that"?
What would you say??
PRACTICE!! DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS!! Then, you might be able to understand the explanation, were the pianist willing to undertake to explain his expertise.

So it is with penmakers. Because you have the ability to make extraordinary pens, it does NOT follow that you are a gifted writer or teacher. NOR does it follow that you want to explain the techniques that have taken you years of failures to develop.

Trial and error is so much more fun anyway right? I am currently trying to make a segmented pen similar in style to a Gisi pen that I saw. I think I am on trial number 7 now. :) I am sure I will be a better person for it after completed (at least that is what I am telling myself).

Congrats to all the winners. Those are some tremendous pens and they just look great!!

jttheclockman

I am not looking for tutorials but i would think it would be nice if the winners of each catagory post their pens in Show us your pens and give us a little background on the materials used and if they so choose to tell us how the pen was made then let them do so. Let us not stymie this pen making hobby by telling people not to do tutorials or how tos. People have left this site for far more reasons than being asked to do tutorials that is for sure.

Nine out of ten times when a pen such as the winner here is presented there is practically no one else who can duplicate it because of the machinery or materials and if there is that 1% they probaly already have thought of it and tried it or even may do it. It is always nice to learn new methods that you will never thought of. I say this all the time if you do not want a pen copied then never show it anywhere and sleep with it foreever. If a pen is out there it will be copied or mimiced somewhere.

As far as trying to figure things out on your own by all means have at it. If a how to helps in that process then you have a choice to read it or ignore it. There is no moral issue here. It comes down to individuals and freedom to do as they choose. There are ways to show certain aspects of a pen and just give enough info to wett the appetite of others. If something is truely unique and you want to keep this process to yourself then do so and never show anyone the pen.

yaroslaw

Gentlemen, you may not have been on IAP long enough to realize this is one of the reasons that these advanced penmakers STOPPED showing their work. (Requests for tutorials)

What would you say??

Ed, there is really no need to shout. If you think 3 "best show" fotos are enough to reverse engineer, I'm really glad for you. Not all of us capable of doing it without even seeing unscrewed pen. I myself do not need precise instruction, but some hints really would be helpful.

Aren't contests made to inspire people? Aren't "how did you done that???" appreciation?

As for my question - there are some tutorials on going kitless, but I'm stopping going that way... because I'm not inspired by most kitless pens. You know, I love wood. I love "sticks with a clip" from wood, I'm indifferent to "sticks with a clip" from resin. And going kitless is expencive (collet chucks, taps, dies, holders, more precise lathe at the end). But seeing Rich's pen - I really like to try to make kitless wood pen. Now I know it's possible, but I really need some hints how it is done.

And last - I understand "no", when it's said by person being asked, but it doesn't look nice, when someone answers for others. But still, I appreciate your involvement and work to get things done here, and I know it was hard time, and thanks for all that and for sponsorship.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I will simply say, "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".

Whenever possible, I try to give that sense of "what happened last time we had this conversation."

If you are still here in 2020, you may find yourself doing the same thing. Or not, your choice!

yaroslaw

Okay, Ed, got your message, thanks.
All I really want is to see this and pretty much all participating pens in SOYP with a bit more of wordings about some specific aspects of them. No need in detailed instructions, but I do really want to know how to marry wood and ebonite in kitless pen:)

Top Bottom