Ever done something stupid?Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

This week I found out I qualified for front runner of the pack. I was pouring some Silmar into a smaller more managable container from a 5 gallon can. Well I somehow ripped the cap off the 5 gallon can and thought no big deal I have a left over accelerator bottle I can flip over and stuck in the hole.

I went to get more resin today and found clumps coming from the jug and thought "what a winner". In an effort to save what of it I could bought a new clean bucket and lid and some screen door material and now have strained all of the clumps out. Hopefully I have saved 2 gallons.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

The following is an example of something NOT to do (for those who only read the first part and think to themselves "what a great way to get rid of extra MEKP"....DON"T)

Take all your old extra MEKP you need to get rid of and dump it into a quart can with some old resin you don't want anymore, then stir it up real good = really really dumb idea when the MEKP ratio is WAAAY more than what is recommended = Toxic smoke, melted containers and other unpleasantries.

This was right near the top of the list of the dumbest things I ever did.

Ed

Curly

I think the rest will continue to harden slowly so you better use it quick or you'll find you have 2 gallons of rubbery goo in a few weeks.

Once a pail of resin is empty I remove the lid and use an old CA accelerator spray bottle to lightly mist MEKP over the pail and lid. In a week or 2 the remaining resin on the sides and bottom cure, especially in hot weather, and I put my scrap metal in it to take it to the metal recyclers. The 6 to 9 cents a pound for steel adds up. :)

turncrazy43

I feel your pain! You are certainly not the only one to make a silly mistake. Thank you for sharing. It may help some of us from making the same error.

Top Bottom