Etesia pen kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

Another basket weave attempt on an Etesia.
IMG_1576.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Now this one really plays havoc with my eyes. Looking at the picture, not zoomed it looks like parts are under turned and over turned, but zooming up it shows that my eyes have been tricked. Nice job and I think this is my favorite of this designā€¦.. so faršŸ˜

magpens

Seems to me that . . .

. . . for true basket-weave . . . lengths and widths of all pieces should be same . . . -> square pieces to start ?? . . . cubes ??

Hope you don't mind me critiquing in this way.

Apart from that, your design really appeals to me. . . Thanks for showing.

Alan Morrison

Seems to me that . . .

. . . for true basket-weave . . . lengths and widths of all pieces should be same . . . -> square pieces to start ?? . . . cubes ??

Hope you don't mind me critiquing in this way.

magpens

@alanemorrison

With regard to your post above, Alan, in response to mine . . . .

I accept what you say, but there is something . . . just something . . . that isn't happening quite right . . .

There is something different between the "basket weave" on your pen and that on the box you show.

I thought it had to do with making the components of the pattern . . . making them all the same size (which yours are not) . . . using cubes.
But maybe that's not it.

If you look at the pattern on the box, and look carefully at side-by-side (adjacent) rows in the box pattern, there is an "overlap" which is missing on your pen . . . .

( So that's not the same as I was saying before about using "same size" or "cubes" for your pieces . . but I don't know how to express it properly. )

Your pen hasn't quite got the same pattern as on the box. . Whatever it is . . . it's not the same.

And I don't know what you have to do to fix the issue . . . so I'll have to leave it at that. . . . . Sorry !

Alan Morrison

@magpens
I believe that I understand your comments re. the 'overlaps'. I havent tried to copy these patterns exactly and just two rows looks a bit different.
Mal, could you check out two recent pens that I posted and tell me if they are closer to what you mean.
I don't know how to put in a link but you will find them at the top of this thread 'See more from alanemorrison'
The pen titles are 'A tale of two blanks' and 'A bit dirty looking'
I am happy to receive your comments.
Slainte
Alan

magpens

@alanemorrison

I will try to do that, Alan . . . . I assume you would like some similar commentary.

And also, when you say ... "I havent tried to copy these patterns exactly and just two rows looks a bit different." ... are you indicating that it is a bit difficult to make comparisons between the pen and the box patterns because the pen is a much more limited "canvas" for the pattern ?

If that's what your meaning is, then I would have to agree. . However, the pattern itself is fully repetitive after you have seen only two rows.

Anyway, I'll have a look at the two additional pens you mentioned and try to formulate a meaningful comment or two.

You understand, of course, that I am not a "licensed appraiser", by any stretch of the imagination.
And correspondingly, I understand that you are not intending to replicate the box pattern IN EVERY DETAIL, which may be another way of saying that your use of the term "basket weave" should not be interpreted in the strict meaning of those words.

When we work in the cylindrical environment of a pen surface, the result we get cannot be directly compared with work on a flat surface.

It might be that we can achieve some similarities between the two, but its unlikely that we can achieve identical results . . . I know that :)

Kcimdrib

Alan
I've read all of the above comments and can only say it's a great looking pen. Does anything else really matter. However you did it looks fantastic.

Alan Morrison

Alan
I've read all of the above comments and can only say it's a great looking pen. Does anything else really matter. However you did it looks fantastic.
Thanks for the comments, Michael.
Mal is always interested in how certain pens are made and has an inquisitive mind that I like responding to.
I make a pen and am interested how the design could be improved so Mal's comments are very useful.

Kcimdrib

Yes I like to read his comments because they are for the main constructive.

magpens

..... they are for the main constructive.

. . . . I never intend them to be "destructive" . . . if they ever seem to be "destructive", please let me know . . . :);)

I am as interested as anybody is in helping to improve appearances, techniques, wording, etc., wherever that is possible !!

And I am thinking about this particular design quite a bit.

Kcimdrib

. . . . I never intend them to be "destructive" . . . if they ever seem to be "destructive", please let me know . . . :);)

I am as interested as anybody is in helping to improve appearances, techniques, wording, etc., wherever that is possible !!
And it's always a pleasure to read your comments Mal. You are far more skilled than me so I am honoured to receive your comments.
And it's what the IAP should be all about.

Top Bottom