ER32 Collet Chuck advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jans husband

I have a woodturning lathe with a spindle 3/4" x 16 TPI, and also have an adapter for it M33 3.5.

I recently bought a set of ER32 Collets, and a Collet chuck.

UNFORTUNATELY- the taper on it is MT2, whereas the lathe headstock taper is MT1. I thought I would be able to solve the problem buy using a MT1 to MT2 sleeve.

Although it works, I am not happy that it is the appropriate solution, because the length between the spindle and the collets means that it wanders from a true centre line.

I have looked at a face mounted collet chuck, but I can't see one which screws directly onto the spindle threads I have, and they seem to require a baseplate to fix it to. But, I can't reconcile any such collet chuck to any baseplate. The all have different PCD's for the mounting holes, or the mounting holes are not defined in the sales information. Some have 3 mounting holes, and some have 4.

Has anyone had this problem, and is there an affordable solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

you need one of these, 3/4" x 16 TP to 1"-8:

then you can use one of these, 1"-8:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't think I have to tell you this but with additional adapters, runout "can" increase. I have done that but by taking care, loosing and tightening and cleaning, runout can be held in check. It takes a little work, but usually it can be done.

I have a couple of those spindle adapters from Crafts Supplies USA and they sure are handy. Oh, and I also have the Beall Collet chuck along with a full set of metric ER32 Collets.

monophoto

The Penn State collet chuck is made to fit a 1"x8tpi spindle, but come with an adaptor for 3/4"x16 tpi spindles.

I generally agree with others that adaptors that increase the overall length of the chick can increase runout. However an adapter that mates a 3/4"x16 male thread to a 1"x8tpi female thread only increases the length by about 1/4" and is not likely to be a problem

dogcatcher

Look on the MT arbor, see if there are any markings on it. As in MT and a JT with a number. Most likely the arbor can be knocked out and replaced with a corresponding MT arbor that will fit your lathe.

Pictures and or a link to your collet chuck might be a big help, some sellers, will have the MT and JT or straight arbor info in the listing. Then it might be a screw on arbor, then it could be a different game.

Jans husband

Thanks for the help.

I am looking at Pete's suggestion, and have accessed the Beall page.
I cannot find anything like that in the UK.
I have emailed Beall to check on shipping costs etc. I don't want the cost to be prohibitive.
I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Mike

chartle

I've been stalking a collet chuck for my also 3/4-16 MT1 lathe and I think the largest I found was ER20.

I was about to pull the plug and place my order and wait the 3 weeks from China and then doubled back and think the best solution is the Penn State chuck witt the adapter. I already have their cheap scroll chuck with the same adapter. That way I can reuse them.

Maybe I'll get it from Santa? šŸŽ…

Jans husband

Thanks Cliff and Hank.

The collet set I have is a Metric ER32

I have just noticed that Beaumont Inks have a new line which is an ER32 set with a MT1 or MT2 in a nice looking box, so looking at the moment at Petes suggestion of a Beall Chuck.
Awaiting shipping price from them, because Beall does not have any outlets in the UK apparently.

EDIT my earlier post mentioned an MT1 to MT2 sleeve. In fact it is an extension, because presumably an MT2 can't fit into an MT1. That makes the distance Headstock to collet too far for any accuracy.

Mike

RobS

Good luck Mike,

You will like the Beall ER32, The smooth nut, prevents you from accidently knocking your knuckles.

Jans husband

Thanks Rob
Its knocking the bank account rather than my knuckles that I am more concerned about at the moment. I am being quoted $53 for shipping something which costs $79, but I already have the wrench, so they may be able to seperate the chuck and wrench and bring the shipping cost down

Mike

Curly

That's where you buy more so the shipping is spread out. šŸ¤£ The wrench weighs diddly and unless they are willing to repackage it into a fractionally smaller box I can't see how there would be any saving. A lower cost shipping option like sea or without tracking maybe. The other option would be to see if anyone on the other British pen or turning forums would be interested in going together on a group buy. Perhaps shipping for several Beall tools would be cheaper. After the box arrives you send the individuals their items. I just looked at ER32 chucks for small metal lathes on the Chronos site and they are 70 or 80 pounds plus shipping so you really aren't going to pay much more for a chuck that fits.

Pete

RobS

That's where you buy more so the shipping is spread out. šŸ¤£ The wrench weighs diddly and unless they are willing to repackage it into a fractionally smaller box I can't see how there would be any saving. A lower cost shipping option like sea or without tracking maybe. The other option would be to see if anyone on the other British pen or turning forums would be interested in going together on a group buy. Perhaps shipping for several Beall tools would be cheaper. After the box arrives you send the individuals their items. I just looked at ER32 chucks for small metal lathes on the Chronos site and they are 70 or 80 pounds plus shipping so you really aren't going to pay much more for a chuck that fits.

Pete
Pete always has some great ideas!!! Group buy would help on shipping!

These items are also awesome from Beall, I own each of them:
https://bealltool.com/products/turning/ix_collets.php (use every now and then)

https://bealltool.com/products/turning/threeon.php (use every time i polish love it)

Yup shipping gets you every time!!!! I ordered the Paul Howard sphere jig from Oliver's Wood turnings in the UK, and the shipping to California was crazy high, so I ordered 6 carbide bits also, ended up being a solid choice.

Jans husband

Update

Beall ER32 spindle chuck arrived today.
Total cost $183 , (Ā£139), including cost including chuck $79, Shipping $53 and IMPORT TAX in the UK before it could be delivered, the equivalent of $51.

I will be appealing the Import Tax because of the small value of the import, and I think there is an exemption below Ā£135 value of the item.
The only Beall outlet in the UK has recently shut up shop according to their website.

Not grumbling!

I have just screwed it onto the spindle, and it seems to be an excellent fit. I haven't tried to use it yet. Think I'll just sit looking at it for a while first!!

Mike

RobS

I hear you. Bought the Howard Johnson Sphere jig and paid like $75 in shipping from UK to California, US. But I love the jig. You will love the Beall. I bought 2 of the following adjustable spanners to take it on and off:

I am sure there are cheaper choices, just showing you to give you an idea.

Top Bottom