Enter The Dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is one of the new PSI Dragon Twist Pen kits in Antique Pewter. I have added Green Alcohol ink/dye to the scales, claw, talons, and dragon clip. It has a Tigers Eye crystal held by claws on the end. The blanks are Birdseye Maple Burl also tinted with green Alcohol ink/dye with a blender to soften the color. Finish is a three step buffed wax in order to protect and give the surface a more natural satin skin look. If you are going to put one of these pens together, be very careful with the center band assembly. There is a note added to the instructions that says "DO NOT press directly against threads" Key word here is AGAINST threads. After breaking the first two, I figured out that the threads are over cut and any sideways pressure against them will snap the threaded end off. Even just turning the refill in and out can snap the threads !! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0815 (374x800).jpg
    DSCN0815 (374x800).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 467
  • DSCN0816 (800x664).jpg
    DSCN0816 (800x664).jpg
    204 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCN0817 (800x184).jpg
    DSCN0817 (800x184).jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 338
  • DSCN0818 (800x212).jpg
    DSCN0818 (800x212).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

There was a thread earlier about this pen when it was prototype. At that time there was an issue with casting marks. Have those been cleaned up? I sure hope they do something about that thread problem. I would like to make some for gifts for kids but not if there going to snap like you described.
Curt

plantman

That's a very dramatic pen! Are the dyes permanent?

Chris; The dyes are permanent, but I think with extended use they may wear off on the high spots. I do not sell, or use the pens in my collection for any long periods of time to say they will or will not wear the finish any more than any others. I have several more to make up, and I am going to put a clear nail polish hardener over the dye to protect it from any wear. Jim S

Last edited:

Jack Parker

We built one last night, no pics yet my son carried it to work with him today. We used an old cutoff of a pre-drilled blank to shield the threads of the center band as we pressed it in, worked out fine. Still have 4 more to build, will update if we run into problems with any of them. Too early for us to tell yet on the longitivity of the thread section.

plantman

There was a thread earlier about this pen when it was prototype. At that time there was an issue with casting marks. Have those been cleaned up? I sure hope they do something about that thread problem. I would like to make some for gifts for kids but not if there going to snap like you described.
Curt

Curt; I have all three finishes in this kit, and after looking them over last night, I can't see any casting marks. Every detail is sharp and even. Snapping the threads off was the only problem I had. Jim s

plantman

I feel that I should explain in a little more detail how I snapped the threaded ends off the center band assembly. I had seen the note on the instructions about pressing on the threads. I assumed that pressing directly on the end of the threads would crush the threads, making it hard to screw together. I used the blank method suggested, and that worked just fine. As I slipped the upper barrel on, I noticed that the band had not seated perfectly and the two barrels were not in the same plane. I tried to gently straighten them, but when I applied side pressure on the threads, they snapped. Second attempt. I screwed the transmission on the threads to protect them and placed the assembly in my pen vice. As soon as I applied the slightest pressure the threads snapped. I used the band assembly from all three different kit finishes. They are all chrome and not seen in the finished pen when assembled. Maybe it was something that I did wrong, but after almost 30 years of making pens, I think the inner and outer threads are over cut leaving too little material left between to support any side pressure on them. PSI had no problem with sending me new center bands at no cost to me. Jim S

Last edited:

Jack Parker

Said that I would update, I haven't built any more of the kits that we have. However, my son dropped the one that he was carrying and it broke at the threads along with breaking the Tigers Eye. Not a good sign.:mad:

plantman

Said that I would update, I haven't built any more of the kits that we have. However, my son dropped the one that he was carrying and it broke at the threads along with breaking the Tigers Eye. Not a good sign.:mad:

:at-wits-end: Sorry about the pen, but glad to see I am not the only one having issues with this kit !! I would caution anyone thinking of selling these pens !! From what I have seen so far, your going to get them back in two pieces from a very unhappy customer !!! Jim S

Jack Parker

:at-wits-end: Sorry about the pen, but glad to see I am not the only one having issues with this kit !! I would caution anyone thinking of selling these pens !! From what I have seen so far, your going to get them back in two pieces from a very unhappy customer !!! Jim S

Thanks Jim, glad it happened with him and not a paying customer. I'm with you on being leery of these kits.:wink:

Top Bottom