Engraving wood pens with friction polish question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Usually I use CA as my wooden pen finish, but I would like to use friction polish (pen plus or lacquer/walnut oil) to achieve quick/satin finish. The only "issue" I have is unlike the CA, the friction polish doesn't darken then engraving (it actually appear to lighten it). Any ideas without resorting to painting the engraving prior to apply the friction polish? Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Try engraving after applying the friction polish. I had several pens which were made out of olive wood which had the Doctors Pen Finish applied then they were laser engraved and everything came out fine.

TonyL

Try engraving after applying the friction polish. I had several pens which were made out of olive wood which had the Doctors Pen Finish applied then they were laser engraved and everything came out fine.
That's what I use. The only thing is that the engraving is not protected. I will try that next though. Thank you brother. PS. the pens happen to be BOL too.

MiteyF

I bought some at Woodcraft a few years ago, don't remember the brand, and still have a bunch. I mix it 50/50 with denatured alcohol, and apply after sanding, let it sit an hour or so, then sand again. You could easily apply a layer, sand, apply one more to make sure the colors pop, then finish over it.

Gary Beasley

Something you may want to experiment with is filling the engraving with paint, dry it, then give it a light sanding on the lathe to clean up the edges before putting the finish on. Its getting lighter from the friction finish building up in the engraving, the paint will keep the buildup to a minimum.

TonyL

Something you may want to experiment with is filling the engraving with paint, dry it, then give it a light sanding on the lathe to clean up the edges before putting the finish on. Its getting lighter from the friction finish building up in the engraving, the paint will keep the buildup to a minimum.
Thank you Gary.

Top Bottom