Engraving Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I have a couple of questions for engraving pens:
1. What is the best font?
2. Do you use all caps?
3. What is your view on engraving highly figured acrylics - where the words just seem to disappear?
I have a laser and keep struggling with these questions!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

These are things I think are important. I don't have an engraver but the guy that first did all my engraving said there were just a few fonts that he thought that really popped on pens. None were just plain block letters. I like some kind of script but not so fancy it makes it hard to read. Everything engraved was on pens and it was names so not all letters were caps. Under the names was Class of 2020 and it was engraved as shown. As far as engraving on figured acrylics I don't care for it because it disappears. Plus I don't like it too busy although that's what my wife says about burls and I love them. That's my opinion and I'm sure you get several others. My suggestion is to ask the buyer what they want or if it's a gift do what you think looks best. I've never given away a pen and had the recipient complain.

TonyL

I do not know what is the best, but there are some fonts designs and pitches that engraver more clearly when using a laser engraver (distance between the characters, open spaces within the letters. etc). I don't use all caps unless the client request it. I have not engraved on acrylics. I am about to engrave 13 pens today for a client today. I will try to match the font that the company uses (they didn't specify the font). Another font consideration is the length and height on the engraving and the length and height of the available pen "field". I will turn a test stock to size and practice once or twice. Given, my patience for this is negative (LOL), it is my least favorite part of pen making. I am sure we have some graphics designers and more experienced folks that can offer you better advice.

Sylvanite

I prefer simple fonts without thin lines. Thin lines often engrave poorly. My usual choices are Arial (or any other Helvetica knock-off), Bookman BT, and Roundhand.

I do not use all caps without a specific reason..

Acrylic (not to be confused with other plastic materials) generally engraves well, but often with low contrast. Therefore, I usually recommend a color-fill. Other synthetic materials have different engraving properties, and some (such as PVC) should not be laser-engraved at all.

keithbyrd

I prefer simple fonts without thin lines. Thin lines often engrave poorly. My usual choices are Arial (or any other Helvetica knock-off), Bookman BT, and Roundhand.

I do not use all caps without a specific reason..

Acrylic (not to be confused with other plastic materials) generally engraves well, but often with low contrast. Therefore, I usually recommend a color-fill. Other synthetic materials have different engraving properties, and some (such as PVC) should not be laser-engraved at all.
Thanks for the feedback - I agree on the thin lines! Acrylics (and other plastic materials) are where my problems lie. are there ways to keep from getting the melted edge look? I tried taping over the area to be engraved with blue painters tape and that seemed to help a bit.

qquake

I always have my pens engraved with Brush Script. I don't know why, I just like it. This is my son's and daughter-in-law's wedding pen.

Attachments

• pen012_edit.jpg
    pen012_edit.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 152
  • pen014.jpg
    pen014.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 167

Bope

I always have my pens engraved with Brush Script. I don't know why, I just like it. This is my son's and daughter-in-law's wedding pen.
I am assuming the engraved color is not form the engraving process. Do you engrave then paint then sand back to wood?

qquake

I am assuming the engraved color is not form the engraving process. Do you engrave then paint then sand back to wood?
No, the engraving company engraved through masking tape, filled it with paint, then took the tape off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom