Engraving on a Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FrankH

I placed some pens on consignment at a store that sells for crafts people. The owner asked me a question I couldn't answer. Namely, can a pen be engraved after the finish has been applied? Specifically for any of Acrylic, CA finish, soft finish. She thought a customer buying one of my pens might ask this. All answers will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I can't see how it would turn out. CA is a plastic and it's kind of hard to engrave in plastic and it be visible for one. Also depends on how it would be engraved. A laser, I would presume, would just melt the plastic around it. A Dremel would probably engrave but probably would not be able to see it.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I placed some pens on consignment at a store that sells for crafts people. The owner asked me a question I couldn't answer. Namely, can a pen be engraved after the finish has been applied? Specifically for any of Acrylic, CA finish, soft finish. She thought a customer buying one of my pens might ask this. All answers will be appreciated.
Frank, Yes, the pen can be engraved after the finish is applied and really that is preferred. When you engrave an acrylic you have to back fill the engraving with acrylic paint so it is readable. I buy mine from Hobby Lobby. Take a cue tip or a small brush and rub the paint into the engraving. Let it dry for just a minute or so then take regular household alcohol and wipe off the excess. I have had many pens engraved over the past 12 years and all have been after the finish has been applied. I use black, gold, white or silver paint depending on the color of the pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have had pens engraved at a local Trophy Shop. Alternative to paint for filling is Rub-n Buff available at Hobby Lobby, or most other crafts stores. It comes in a tube, and is used as the name indicates. Rub it in the engraving, wipe off the excess and Buff. There are assorted colors available.

Woodchipper

Learned something today. I need to contact the local trophy shop to see what they can do on pens.
Edit- HL is about 2 miles away. My wife and I stop in just to browse. Got some bargains there by keeping tabs on sales plus the Mrs. has the 40% off app on her phone. Thank for the info on engraving.

FrankH

I can't see how it would turn out. CA is a plastic and it's kind of hard to engrave in plastic and it be visible for one. Also depends on how it would be engraved. A laser, I would presume, would just melt the plastic around it. A Dremel would probably engrave but probably would not be able to see it.
Thank you for replying. I thought the CA finish would crack.

FrankH

I have had pens engraved at a local Trophy Shop. Alternative to paint for filling is Rub-n Buff available at Hobby Lobby, or most other crafts stores. It comes in a tube, and is used as the name indicates. Rub it in the engraving, wipe off the excess and Buff. There are assorted colors available.
Thank you for replying. I'll pass that information along.

FrankH

Frank, Yes, the pen can be engraved after the finish is applied and really that is preferred. When you engrave an acrylic you have to back fill the engraving with acrylic paint so it is readable. I buy mine from Hobby Lobby. Take a cue tip or a small brush and rub the paint into the engraving. Let it dry for just a minute or so then take regular household alcohol and wipe off the excess. I have had many pens engraved over the past 12 years and all have been after the finish has been applied. I use black, gold, white or silver paint depending on the color of the pen.
Thanks for the reply edman2. I'll pass your information along. If I think about this long enough, I'll start shopping for a laser - like I don't have enough toys.

FrankH

Learned something today. I need to contact the local trophy shop to see what they can do on pens.
Edit- HL is about 2 miles away. My wife and I stop in just to browse. Got some bargains there by keeping tabs on sales plus the Mrs. has the 40% off app on her phone. Thank for the info on engraving.
Woodchipper, thanks for replying. I think a customer wanting to have a pen engraved would probably talk to a trophy shop.

Top Bottom