Engraved diamonds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

This is a (yet another) fountain pen that I made to practice my geometric studies in engraving. All the metalwork is Argentium silver, and the rest of the pen is made from blue cellulose with a transparent acrylic ink window.
I chose to try engraving a diamond pattern, with little bright cuts to fill each diamond in. Additionally, I put a millgrain border around each panel of the barrel overlay and the borders of the clip and cap band, which is something I wanted to try messing around with for a while.
This was a pretty time consuming pen to make. I finally remembered to time myself, and the pen had around 25 hours of work into it. The overlay itself took around 10 hours of engraving, and I completed the pen over the course of a couple weeks.
523321D7-FE42-4A0E-ADFD-D7517B8C8C01.jpeg
DD2D1AD7-6B33-4C0E-A85C-C72C331E050F.jpeg
9DEA0F8F-BFC7-4F44-8C98-FE59BEFC6586.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now I probably say this with every pen you make but I truely believe this is the best of the best. I am a fanatic for the diamond pattern. I want to incorporate some ideas in some of my pens as well. Weather segmented or cast like I did before.

TDahl

Absolutely stunning John. Every new pen you make seems more exquisite than the last which is saying a lot because every one of your pens are works of art. Thank you for sharing.

bugradx2

"Additionally, I put a millgrain border around each panel of the barrel overlay and the borders of the clip and cap band, which is something I wanted to try messing around with for a while."

Good grief - what other level of gorgeous is there when you're serious about something?

Really stunning work

jrista

This is truly phenomenal. I really love your pens, and your engravings. Demonstrates incredible skill. This kind of stuff makes me think of the classic greats, like Conway Stuart...they had a lot of ebonite pens, with engravings in them, and many were one diamond pattern or another. I have wanted to try my hand at doing some ebonite engraving.

You must have truly steady hands...I don't know how you do it, but those little bright lines engraved into each diamond are incredible. Well done, sir! Well done, indeed.

jttheclockman

This is truly phenomenal. I really love your pens, and your engravings. Demonstrates incredible skill. This kind of stuff makes me think of the classic greats, like Conway Stuart...they had a lot of ebonite pens, with engravings in them, and many were one diamond pattern or another. I have wanted to try my hand at doing some ebonite engraving.

You must have truly steady hands...I don't know how you do it, but those little bright lines engraved into each diamond are incredible. Well done, sir! Well done, indeed.
I asked this question in his last pen showing and post #22 shows how. He is in his lab. creating a masterpiece.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/engraved-fountain-pen.178664/

sorcerertd

Wow! All of it is fantastic (understatement), but the engraving... wow, the detail is amazing. What patience and a steady hand you must have. Do you have some type of jig to get the basic diamond grid cut in and then do the cuts in the individual diamonds by hand?

jttheclockman

Wow! All of it is fantastic (understatement), but the engraving... wow, the detail is amazing. What patience and a steady hand you must have. Do you have some type of jig to get the basic diamond grid cut in and then do the cuts in the individual diamonds by hand?
Read post #15.

jalbert

I use dividers and a machinist square do divide the tube into the 3 panels, then further divide each panel up into an even grid, then finally cut all the diagonal lines in to form the diamond pattern. All this is done under my microscope
2E90DFF6-AF56-4EC0-9F08-4E936B455B8D.jpeg

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Thanks John, I did read that one before, but was just wondering how the diamonds were cut so perfectly. That grid makes a lot of sense. Still... wow, I can't imagine doing anything like that without a microscope.

@jalbert, you must have a steadier hand than some surgeons.
Need a steady hand too. he has talent.

Top Bottom