Engraved copper pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I didn't start out with the intention of making this pen. I bought a 10' length of copper pipe at the hardware store a while back to practice engraving, and I spent so much time on one of the pieces of pipe that I figured I should incorporate it into a pen. I don't particularly like copper as a pen material, but I thought it would be a shame for this to get tossed aside, so I made an overlay. Since I had no copper sheet, I melted down some pipe and poured it into an ingot, which I rolled out to make sheet stock for the clip, finial, and cap band, which I engraved as well. I made the rest of the pen from black/red ebonite, and cut the grip for a #8 size steel nib. I wish I had a gold or rose gold nib, but I had to stick with polished steel for now.
This is a quite large pen, due to the copper pipe being nearly 16mm in diameter, which I am not a fan of, but I had to roll with it. I kept the length down to About 5.25" capped, which is a useable and practical size to carry.
1286A39F-68E7-4BBA-B076-5828308C89EE.jpeg
A2A600B5-E13C-4103-BA4C-E4AEF6BA1923.jpeg
658AED19-E7B5-47EA-A810-EE40E2F7ECCE.jpeg
A566F6C6-B575-46F8-8EB4-EB9370F5502E.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Always a pleasure opening one of your posts where you show us an unbelievable piece of artwork. You are both an Artist and Craftsman. That is another WOW pen. Thanks for showing. Great job

goldendj

I didn't start out with the intention of making this pen. I bought a 10' length of copper pipe at the hardware store a while back to practice engraving, and I spent so much time on one of the pieces of pipe that I figured I should incorporate it into a pen. I don't particularly like copper as a pen material, but I thought it would be a shame for this to get tossed aside, so I made an overlay. Since I had no copper sheet, I melted down some pipe and poured it into an ingot, which I rolled out to make sheet stock for the clip, finial, and cap band, which I engraved as well. I made the rest of the pen from black/red ebonite, and cut the grip for a #8 size steel nib. I wish I had a gold or rose gold nib, but I had to stick with polished steel for now.
This is a quite large pen, due to the copper pipe being nearly 16mm in diameter, which I am not a fan of, but I had to roll with it. I kept the length down to About 5.25" capped, which is a useable and practical size to carry. View attachment 341204View attachment 341205View attachment 341206View attachment 341207
Incredible!

AbleSnail

A very nice pen. Great scroll design. they are just right - not too small, not too big. Congratulations, great job.

BULLWINKLE

This is a quite large pen, due to the copper pipe being nearly 16mm in diameter, which I am not a fan of, but I had to roll with it. I kept the length down to About 5.25" capped, which is a useable and practical size to carry. View attachment 341204View attachment 341205View attachment 341206View attachment 341207
I'm very impressed by this pen but I'm even more impressed by your engraving skills. How did you learn that ? I'm not artistic but I'd really like to try to learn this skill.

jalbert

I'm very impressed by this pen but I'm even more impressed by your engraving skills. How did you learn that ? I'm not artistic but I'd really like to try to learn this skill.
Consumed as much free information on engraving that I could find on YouTube, and bought some of engraver Sam Alfano's video courses. I practiced quite a bit, not only with engraving, but also with drawing. I have always been poor at drawing, but the reality is that you need to be able to draw what you want to engrave.

BULLWINKLE

Consumed as much free information on engraving that I could find on YouTube, and bought some of engraver Sam Alfano's video courses. I practiced quite a bit, not only with engraving, but also with drawing. I have always been poor at drawing, but the reality is that you need to be able to draw what you want to engrave.
Thanks for the information. I'm going to try even though I can't draw. I'm sure I can find patterns online.

Top Bottom