Enduro application technique pointers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tea Clipper

Hi all,
I've read Wayne's instructions several times and what I'm interested in is improving my application technique. He says he applies 3 coats by dripping Enduro onto the slowly turing blank, with a paper towel folded underneath which is then moved back and forth to even it out.

My question has to do with the technical aspects of this. I spend the most time fussing over getting the final coat just right; that leads me to believe that I'm making this harder than it really is.

I end up applying so much enduro that it reaches a 'critical mass' that if I add any more it will just sling off. But this much makes it very hard to smooth out, as just a bump with the paper towel will create thick rings/ridges. It takes a steady hand, and thus lots of fussing.

I don't think this is what Wayne does, so I tried the opposite by applying what I'd call 'micro layers'. That is, I'd just put a bead on the towel and then wipe the towel across the blank, with slight pressure from my finger (underneath the towel) to the blank. This just gets it wet so to speak. I'll do this a few times, but the thin layer just looks dull. This causes me to just add more (thicker) in order to get the wet/glossy look. Of course, as I add more, I quickly revert back to my old technique and it ends up going into critical mass.

I really like the finished product and would like to continue to use Enduro, its just that I'd like to ask you guys how I can improve my application process.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

You should apply just a few drops of the sanding sealer to the blank and even it out with the paper towel, do not apply too much - I apply about 3-5 small drops. Repeat this several times. The last application should be lengthwise and you turn the blanks by hand with the lathe handwheel. This makes sure that there will be no radial marks later. When I first started to use Enduro, I had sometimes this effect, but since I use the last application of the Sanding Sealer lengthwise this is gone.
Apply the final coat in the same way, only a few drops of Enduro per application - I do four and no lengthwise application here, to avoid ridges and thicker uneven areas and overlapps.
I must say, Enduro applied the way Wayne invented is a much better finish than CA. The charm and benefit of Enduro is, at least for me, that it is reproducable. With CA I had good results on one pen, and crappy ones on the next, makes finishing sometimes a chore and takes longer than turning and sanding.

wayneis

Ron you just have to reach a happy medium as I say. First of all what do you use to store and drip your Enduro? You should have something that allows you to get a stedy flow of E not really drops. Also try reducing your presure on the paper towel, try sliding your grip on the towel back so that you have less presure to where you are bearly touching the blank as you drip the E down onto it. All you want to do is touch it enough to even out the E.

Wayne

Tea Clipper

I have some squeeze bottles that I picked up at wally world to hold the Enduro. I don't drip the E directly on the blank, but rather squeeze a dollop onto the towel, then bring the towel up to the wood. I use a lot more than 3-5 small drops, thats for sure! And also, I use the same method whether it's SS or E that I'm applying.

I was also thinking that maybe I'm being too critical about the smoothness of the final finish. The instructions will have you go back and sand out the ridges and then MM the finish. I often can skip that and go straight to plastic polish. But not always, because I'm still learning this, so maybe half the time I might have to MM out a bulge or two. Yes, maybe I shouldn't fuss so much and let the sandpaper 'fix' it for me?

Also, for technique- I have found that if I move the towel very slowly across the (bottom of the) blank the vertical rings created will smooth themselves out. I found that if I try to make quick lengthwise swipes, I end up with ridges resembleing the spiral flutes of a drill bit which are'nt readily apparent when the blank is turning.

wayneis

Ron,

I think that my directions say to drip the SS or Enduro from the top onto the blank and smoth it out with the towel under it. That is what works out the best from all of the people that I have talked to that have been happy with their finish. In most cases, the people who are not happy or who have problems are the ones that do not follow the instructions that I wrote. I practiced and experimented for three months to find the best way before I wrote anything.

Wayne

Tea Clipper

Wayne,

Yes, that is what your instructions say, quick question: how far away is the bottles' nozzle? I didn't have much luck when far away (well, relatively anyway) but it seemed to work better when the nozzle was nearly touching. I also tried a variation where I dripped it on the towel which was held at an angle to funnel it onto the blank. Eventually I migrated to putting a small pool directly on the table.

This evening I tried holding the towel farther back and putting less on, waiting like 5 minutes and then repeat for a total of 3 iterations. That seemed to work well; that happy medium right Wayne?![:)]

I'm still honing my technique and was just curious how others approach this step.

Great instructions btw, thanks!

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by Tea Clipper
<br />Wayne,

Yes, that is what your instructions say, quick question: how far away is the bottles' nozzle? I didn't have much luck when far away (well, relatively anyway) but it seemed to work better when the nozzle was nearly touching. I also tried a variation where I dripped it on the towel which was held at an angle to funnel it onto the blank. Eventually I migrated to putting a small pool directly on the table.

This evening I tried holding the towel farther back and putting less on, waiting like 5 minutes and then repeat for a total of 3 iterations. That seemed to work well; that happy medium right Wayne?![:)]

I'm still honing my technique and was just curious how others approach this step.

Great instructions btw, thanks!

My bottle nozzle is in contact with the blank.

wayneis

About an eighth of an inch and you need to move the nozzel and the towel at the same time across the blank. I would suggest that you chuck up a scrap piece of wood and just practice until you get it down. Its really not hard. Also don't worry too much about getting it perfectly smooth, sand it out with MM. While you are sanding with MM you will be also polishing with the last few grits. Once you finish with the MM you are done, that will put a glass like shine on your blank.

Wayne

Tea Clipper

Well that confirms my own findings: the nozzle should be very close to the blank. I think maybe my problem is that I'm trying to get an ultra smooth finish from a single layer. Last night's success with 3 layers was encouraging.

Thank you Wayne and Rudy for taking the time to share your insights with me. I appreciate your advice.

wayneis

Ron I've been using Enduro for close to three years I believe and I very seldom get a perfectly smooth finish when I'm laying it down. I sand and polish it out with the MM using a rubber block that I cut down.

Wayne

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by OSCAR15
<br />Where do you buy this stuff? I have not seen any pen supplier selling Enduro...Thanks
Oscar

To try it out before committing to the quart size cans, try Beartoothwoods.com Ernie sells Enduro in 2 ounce bottles with a copy of Wayne's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom