Enamel? coming off threads at nib and receiver on Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Has anybody else noticed that as a Baron gets used, the "black" on the nib adapter threads and the finial adapter threads tends to wear off, exposing the bare brass threads? Is there a satisfactory remedy, or is a Marks a Lot it?

Thanks for your help.

Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Over the last two years..starting about 3 years ago, I have had the gun metal finish wearing off of several Berea kits.

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Over the last two years..starting about 3 years ago, I have had the gun metal finish wearing off of several Berea kits.
I'm sorry (initially that word came out as soory - a contraction of so and sorry, I guess) to hear that. I have had similar experiences with their "upgrade gold." After long discussions with folks at BHW and CSUSA, I restricted my further kit purchases to Titanium Gold, Black Titanium, and Chrome, making the occasional exception for BHW silver - love its' luster. The frustrating part for me is spending the extra $$ for the titanium nitride finishes - which should never wear - and having something like the exposed painted/coated(?) threads on couplers, of all things, wear, exposing bare brass alloy!

Were it not for the prohibitive expenses, I would have all exposed wear-points coated w/ Cerecoat or Rogard like I do with my firearms.

Ironwood

It's disappointing to put a lot of work into a pen, only to be let down later with poor quality components and/or platings.
I like to use stainless steel kits where possible, but the availability of them here in Australia makes it difficult to say the least.

Reactions: KJA

DrD

It's disappointing to put a lot of work into a pen, only to be let down later with poor quality components and/or platings.
I like to use stainless steel kits where possible, but the availability of them here in Australia makes it difficult to say the least.
My youngest son is a CNC programmer. We took the components of a Baron and he programmed a 4 axis CNC to turn the cap and body barrels - no brass tubes, and then oil-fired the ends of the 2 barrels that connect at the center band. It is a beautiful pen - but extremely heavy, too heavy for my liking, but it is really nice.

Ironwood

S
My youngest son is a CNC programmer. We took the components of a Baron and he programmed a 4 axis CNC to turn the cap and body barrels - no brass tubes, and then oil-fired the ends of the 2 barrels that connect at the center band. It is a beautiful pen - but extremely heavy, too heavy for my liking, but it is really nice.
Sounds good. Did this include the the threads ?

DrD

Unfortunately we did not do the threads, we chose (to minimize time on the CNC) to do just the barrels. After turning and treating the barrels we used the nib and finial adapters from the kit - which are now showing wear. If I can get around to it, I'll post some pictures later today.

Thanks for the interest

Top Bottom