Emperor M3 Titanium Mokume

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

I made two M3 Titanium Mokume Emperor pens. . The Emperors are full size with 22 kt gold and black titanium.

The first uses a Pink M3 blank and a Blue M3 blank with a white acrylic center portion made in two sections, one each side of the centerband:

The second uses a Red M3 blank and a Blue M3 blank with a white acrylic center portion made in two sections, one each side of the centerband:

These are considerably better pictures than last time, but I know there is lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for looking.

MHKogan

I made two M3 Titanium Mokume Emperor pens. . The Emperors are full size with 22 kt gold and black titanium.

The first uses a Pink M3 blank and a Blue M3 blank with a white acrylic center portion made in two sections, one each side of the centerband:

The second uses a Red M3 blank and a Blue M3 blank with a white acrylic center portion made in two sections, one each side of the centerband:

These are considerably better pictures than last time, but I know there is lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for looking.

First, let me say that the pens look great and I really like the segments. My only concern has to do the white acrylic section. While acrylics can be quite beautiful they are not heirloom quality, meaning that they will shrink and/or change colors over time.

I have been a pen collector for over thirty years, so I speak with experience. After ten years many acrylic pen barrels shrink exposing the tube underneath. Wood barrels tend to crack over time and even some stabilized woods can yellow and shrink. When you spend a couple of hundred dollars or more on a hand crafted writing instrument you want it to look great a lot longer than 10 years.

I try to keep high end kits together with high end blanks, and vice versa with the less expensive components. Part of the fun of the lower cost materials is the variety that is available at a lower price point, and few will complain if their $50 pen cracks after ten years.

Sorry to use your beautiful pens for this narrative, but I honestly believe that this is why many jewelry stores refuse to sell hand crafted writing instruments and stick with the big brands instead.

southernclay

Hey Mal,
Nice work, I definitely prefer the red, the pattern is much more constant with the blue. (Not that you had control over that) The turning, finish and segmenting look great.

Excellent drilling to get a full size pen out of 3/4" material!

Top Bottom