Emergency Things We Are Discovering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
COVID 19 is showing us things for which we have not been prepared. I work with many churches in a 3 county area in NW Mississippi. (Similar to a "Bishop", only without authority, and more as a consultant.) Yesterday, my pastor's father broke his leg and was sent to the hospital in Jackson, MS, about 180 miles away. Here is where things have changed:

1. Most hospitals only allow 1 visitor in at a time, period, no exceptions. (Pastor's/Ministers not allowed in except for very special situations and prior preparation)
2. Family/Visitors are not allowed in if they have traveled out of state (or local region) in 14 days prior to visiting. My pastor went on a vacation two weeks ago and returned last week. (I filled in for him while he was gone.) He cannot visit his dad until March 26.
3. In the South, in small communities, it is customary to take food to the home of those who are sick or have a spouse or young child in a hospital. NOW, that is a no-no.
5. Many of our churches are doing streaming of the message instead of meeting together.
6. Even pastors visitations are being limited, even in the hospital. It is almost a Hazmat uniform situation and the hazmat uniforms must be changed for each room entered.

FUNERALS:

7. I am sending out a note to all of our churches today to prepare their church members and communities concerning funerals. It has been strongly "recommended" by governmental and community officials (and right so) to limit funerals to "family only" and in some cases "immediate family only". A Memorial service is recommended for sometime in the future - in memory of the deceased and as closure for many. Many funerals in smaller communities have the whole community turn out. This is going to be a big disruption in community customs and cultural practices.

8. Again, similar to #3 above, many churches' members provide a meal for the family - usually in the church fellowship hall. This will be stopped. Even providing meals to the family at their home will be greatly curtailed.

With the exponential spread of this virus, keeping people away from groups is a necessity, until a cure or med that reduces the severity of the virus is discovered.

Reality is that local customs and practices will be disrupted at the most emotional and needy times.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Yesterday, our bank announced that until further notice, all banking transactions must be on-line or via the drive-through window. The banking office/lobby is closed to the public.

One can request an appointment to be allowed access to the banking office for a specific purpose - eg, to access a safe deposit box - but even in those cases, only one person is allow in, and that person must leave as soon as the immediate need has been addressed - any follow-on transactions must take place on-line or at the drive-through window.

But I have to say that a lot of the practices that we have always taken for granted didn't make a lot of sense, and perhaps the silver lining here is that when this crisis finally passes and things start returning to normal, we will understand that some of the things that we were forced to do by circumstances were things that we probably should have been doing all along. For example, the rules governing visitors in hospitals were probably a bit lax, and it wouldn't be a bad thing if this crisis forced us to tighten up just a bit. Likewise, the problem accessing my bank has caused me to explore the possibility of making deposits on-line rather than actually going to the bank.

TonyL

We are also discovering the need to make things here in the US. When counting the costs, I always include the risks; there are always risks that are hard to quantity when determining costs, so they get ignored. The US will rise to this occasion and make us better and stronger AND in a position to help all, here and around the world.

jttheclockman

The one thing that will do is open up the avenue even wider for fraud and computer hacking. With more and more people now taking up doing the things you are talking about Louie, and many of those people novice there will be more computer hacking. Those banks can not be trusted for security. Everything on line is hackable. I went through it with Chase bank. It is unfortunate that there are those who prey on things like this. Hopefully this too shall pass but it is going to leave a huge mark on our society. Did we learn from past illnesses, probably not as much as we should have. But here is another one of those teaching moments. Suggestion, do only the essential things needed to do and any leisure or luxury things put off for another time. We will get through this.

grpass

Yesterday, our bank announced that until further notice, all banking transactions must be on-line or via the drive-through window. The banking office/lobby is closed to the public.

One can request an appointment to be allowed access to the banking office for a specific purpose - eg, to access a safe deposit box - but even in those cases, only one person is allow in, and that person must leave as soon as the immediate need has been addressed - any follow-on transactions must take place on-line or at the drive-through window.

But I have to say that a lot of the practices that we have always taken for granted didn't make a lot of sense, and perhaps the silver lining here is that when this crisis finally passes and things start returning to normal, we will understand that some of the things that we were forced to do by circumstances were things that we probably should have been doing all along. For example, the rules governing visitors in hospitals were probably a bit lax, and it wouldn't be a bad thing if this crisis forced us to tighten up just a bit. Likewise, the problem accessing my bank has caused me to explore the possibility of making deposits on-line rather than actually going to the bank.
Now is a good time for people, who can, to try banking apps. I haven't had to go to a bank for a lo g time. Transfer money, pay bills, deposit checks all from your phone. I just make sure I'm on my home wifi when doing it. Things do change...

sbwertz

Now is a good time for people, who can, to try banking apps. I haven't had to go to a bank for a lo g time. Transfer money, pay bills, deposit checks all from your phone. I just make sure I'm on my home wifi when doing it. Things do change...
What if your phone is stolen? I don't use my phone for anything to do with banking, investments, etc. I don't save any passwords on my phone. I don't save any money-related passwords on my computer. Forty years as a computer consultant has made me very wary of putting my banking information out in the ether.

TonyL

"Funny" you mention this. A friend of mine just had all of his private/financial information stolen from a hotel charging port in Ireland. I have been researching VPNs for home and smart devices. I also do perform bank/investing using my phone. And I stop donating/buying things via FB. I simply send them a pm and mail them a check. I don't think anything is 100%, but I am not going to help anyone to my information. I bought NordVPN, but I had little success setting it up and I couldn't speak to a live person OTP - so I uninstalled it.

Kenny Durrant

I think all the "New Technology" is great but I guess I'm getting old and don't trust much of it to handle personal needs. As mentioned earlier there are people that that's all they do is try to steal from others and I don't want to make it a little bit easier for them. Not to open up another can of worms, but I feel I have to bring it up, I get the feeling our government not doing all it can to stop it. I think many of us , in the U.S. anyways, have gotten spoiled with the ease and convenience. One of the things that's going to be tough is keeping emotions in check and not let things get out of hand where it causes more damage than good. I can only imagine what it must be like to have a loved one sick or pass away and be told to keep your distance. The sad thing now is you have to help or do things that we're not accustomed to render aid. I was just told someone ordered a pizza and got sick. I think it's to the point that if we don't start rethinking everything we do there's a possibility it might not turn out for the best. Please don't get me wrong , I'm not sitting in a dark closet all doom and gloom. Life is changing for all of us and if we don't except it and change it's not going to end well. I pray every day that this will come to an end very quickly.

TonyL

"Funny" you mention this. A friend of mine just had all of his private/financial information stolen from a hotel charging port in Ireland. I have been researching VPNs for home and smart devices. I also do perform bank/investing using my phone. And I stop donating/buying things via FB. I simply send them a pm and mail them a check. I don't think anything is 100%, but I am not going to help anyone to my information. I bought NordVPN, but I had little success setting it up and I couldn't speak to a live person OTP - so I uninstalled it.
I meant to say I do NOT perform bank/investing using my phone.

monophoto

I think all the "New Technology" is great but I guess I'm getting old and don't trust much of it to handle personal needs. As mentioned earlier there are people that that's all they do is try to steal from others and I don't want to make it a little bit easier for them. Not to open up another can of worms, but I feel I have to bring it up, I get the feeling our government not doing all it can to stop it. I think many of us , in the U.S. anyways, have gotten spoiled with the ease and convenience. One of the things that's going to be tough is keeping emotions in check and not let things get out of hand where it causes more damage than good. I can only imagine what it must be like to have a loved one sick or pass away and be told to keep your distance. The sad thing now is you have to help or do things that we're not accustomed to render aid. I was just told someone ordered a pizza and got sick. I think it's to the point that if we don't start rethinking everything we do there's a possibility it might not turn out for the best. Please don't get me wrong , I'm not sitting in a dark closet all doom and gloom. Life is changing for all of us and if we don't except it and change it's not going to end well. I pray every day that this will come to an end very quickly.

Kenny

I recently posted in another thread that one of the things that I learned a long time ago is that the key to getting through situations like this is to have an overactive sense of humor.

Laughing about it makes it far easier to survive it!

henry1164

Kenny

I recently posted in another thread that one of the things that I learned a long time ago is that the key to getting through situations like this is to have an overactive sense of humor.

Laughing about it makes it far easier to survive it!
Yes, the level of humor should increase as the amount of control you have over a situation decreases. Also, don't forget that doing things for others who have a need or have less than you goes a long, long way for all parties involved!

Kenny Durrant

I agree. I was just stating my concerns. I kept it serious because I didn't want to spark a nerve and get something else started. I also believe if you don't laugh you might end up crying.

TonyL

I read this is 1986; I have a chronic, but non-life threatening illness. This book didn't help me, but it was based on some pretty interesting research on the "power" of laughter to overcome or shorten the life of serious illness. I am not stating that I agree with it, but attitude and laughter appear to help some.

leehljp

Member Liaison
What if your phone is stolen? I don't use my phone for anything to do with banking, investments, etc. I don't save any passwords on my phone. I don't save any money-related passwords on my computer. Forty years as a computer consultant has made me very wary of putting my banking information out in the ether.

Sharon, I have my bank app on my phone; the password and user name are NOT stored and cannot be stored for that app. I have to enter both every time. My bank makes us change PWs every 6 months; 8 or more characters including numbers, characters and letters. If I mess up on a password and enter it correctly the next, I have to go through a two step authentication which is a pain if my computer is in one place (home) and I am in another (work) with the phone. It is a pain, but it is safe. (On top of that, I don't mind saying my base passwords originate in a very difficult language.) There are bank apps that will not allow you to copy and paste a PW; they will NOT accept a pasted PW. Beware, some do allow it. Overall, I am impressed with the security that some banking systems are putting into place.

In addition, my previous phone required a pass code to open it or finger print; The new one requires my pass code or my face. In addition to that, I can brick the phone from either my computer or my wife's phone, or any computer or phone if I can remember my overarching pass code.

ON being wary, When I lived in Japan, I met with our IT folks from SE asia and those guys in the big middle country over there were doing things 20 years ago in breaking in that most people would be amazed at today. I know a couple who lost their lives because their computer was not secure enough in their travels even though they were PW protected. Agree with you on this: PWs should not be on the same unit as the one bring used.

Last edited:
We are also discovering the need to make things here in the US. When counting the costs, I always include the risks; there are always risks that are hard to quantity when determining costs, so they get ignored. The US will rise to this occasion and make us better and stronger AND in a position to help all, here and around the world.

Yes...Yes...Yes!!!

KLJ

, but attitude and laughter appear to help some.
I have not read the book you are talking about but this reminded me of some scripture.
Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
Proverbs 15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones.
Thanks for your encouraging words and hope your illness gets better.

grpass

I don't keep any bank info on the phone, no saved passwords. Mostly I use home laptop and open the banks website. I have user name and password memorized. I use Wells Fargo. They have had more problems with employees setting up fake accounts and ripping customers off. At least this way I have some control. To many people use wifi at fast food places etc., lots of problems there. We all need to be diligent.

TonyL

Know them very well (not as presented in the KJV though).

Last night I was listening to Psalms and Lamentations. Thank you.

Reactions: KLJ

montmill

We have two 90 year old neighbors, I simply call them everyday. People need to at least hear others voices. We also do on line grocery shopping and get things for them as needed. Doing the best we can at a difficult time.

FUNERALS:
7. I am sending out a note to all of our churches today to prepare their church members and communities concerning funerals. It has been strongly "recommended" by governmental and community officials (and right so) to limit funerals to "family only" and in some cases "immediate family only". A Memorial service is recommended for sometime in the future - in memory of the deceased and as closure for many. Many funerals in smaller communities have the whole community turn out. This is going to be a big disruption in community customs and cultural practices.
I've decided to not going to my funeral... all those people crying and moaning around me would be too upsetting.... :p
If and when I die, and especially if it's from coronavirus, just put me in the oven and start the fire... should kill off anything left over in the body...

All joking aside, we are staying close to home, our kids are all in other states and we stay in touch via phone as much as we can... they are all busy with their own lives and we don't want to be a risk or burden to them. I spoke with my daughter in California last night.. she and her wife are both working from home and fortunately in a small town, albeit just south of San Francisco. My son is a law enforcement office in Georgia about an hour or so away... he's in a situation where he has to be out in the public, but is taking every precaution he can.... my wife's children, the girls are in Illinois.... one is a teacher and working from home, the other is an HR person in a local children's home... they are also taking all precautions.... my step-son is a long haul trucker and he's in the most risky position.... plus he's a smoker, has had asthma in the past and a diabetic (though very mild case, but still)...
all our neighbors around us are in our age bracket and staying close to home as well.... we're pretty well stocked with most of what we need.

Top Bottom