Emergency stop switch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Anyone put an emergency stop switch on a Jet mini lathe, electronic VS? I have an extended bed and it's fun to reach way over to shut it off, quickly. I'm spoiled by my Powermatic with its remote.
I've had some medical issues and I feel it's time for me to get back into penturning. Hard to believe I made my first pen in 1998 and joined this group shortly thereafter.

Any help will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I mounted a remote switch on my Jet VS1214. It's not an emergency stop, but just a remote switch. I got tired of bending over to shut the lathe off when I was wet sanding through the MicroMesh grits. I also didn't like dragging so much water over to where the switch and speed control was. I simply bought an inline on-off switch and mounted it above the headstock so I wouldn't have to bend over any more. It also kind of works as a double safety to prevent someone from accidentally turning the lathe on when I am out of the shop. I simply make sure both switches are in the off position before I leave the shop. The lathe plugs into the aux switch so both switches need to be in the "on" position for the lathe to run.

It isn't exactly this switch, but it is one that is similar. Link: Aux Switch

Dave

monophoto

The approaches taken by Randy and Dave are probably the simplest solutions. If you want both simple and cheap, you could make up your own using an extension cord, switch and plastic box from Home Despot or an electrical supplier. And I like the idea of using one of those large round magnets from Harbor Freight so you have some flexibility on where it is mounted.

But let me raise one issue - does your lathe have a built-in worklight. If you go the simple route, the switch will control both the lathe and the worklight at the same time. I have a worklight on my lathe, and I prefer to leave it on the entire time I'm working at the lathe and not just while I am actively turning. My approach was to mount an outlet strip on the wall with receptacles for the lathe, for the drill that I use (only occasionally) for power sanding, and for an overhead fan that blows dust down and to the back of the lathe (and away from me). I can use the switch on the outlet strip to turn off everything when I'm not in the shop. When I turn on the outlet switch, that powers the lathe and turns on the worklight. The lathe itself is controlled from its built-in switch.

So if your lathe is like mine and you want your auxiliary switch to control only the lathe motor and not the worklight, you would need to cobble something together that is integrated into the internal circuitry of the lathe. That's not difficult.

I added a forward/reverse switch on my VS midi-lathe that is simply a double-pole, double-though toggle switch in a plastic box that attaches to the back of the lathe tailstock with a large magnet from Harbor Freight. My lathe has a cable from the DC motor that plugs into the VS box using a standard C13 connector. So I bought an extension cord with a C13 connector on one end and a C14 connector on the other end, cut it in half, and wired the switch in the middle so that it reverses the polarity of the DC voltage supplied to the motor, thereby reversing the direction of rotation for sanding. The switch has a middle-off position but I would never use it as an emergency off switch because it's too easy to pass through that middle off position to change rotation direction (which is also why I mount it on the back of the lathe where I have to think about what I am doing when I use it). But the same concept could be used with a different switch (a double-pole, single-throw) to create a movable remote on-off switch. And if you want to get fancy, you could even put two switches in series so that you have both a reversing switch and a remote control switch. If you were to do that, I would suggest using separate boxes for the two switches, and enough cable so that they can be separated enough that you can't inadvertently grab the reversing switch when you need to stop the lathe in an emergency.

Last edited:

rixstix

Anyone put an emergency stop switch on a Jet mini lathe, electronic VS? I have an extended bed and it's fun to reach way over to shut it off, quickly. I'm spoiled by my Powermatic with its remote.
I've had some medical issues and I feel it's time for me to get back into penturning. Hard to believe I made my first pen in 1998 and joined this group shortly thereafter.

Any help will be appreciated.
I have 5 of these foot switches which serves a similar purpose for me. Lift my foot and the lathe stops.

jttheclockman

Louie is on the right track for what I would do. Use a power strip and plug a light in the strip. You can use a fixed base one or a magnetic base one and hang it anywhere. Many times those lights that come with lathe just get in the way. Either take bulb out of that one or leave it and it will come on and off. with lathe. Does the light come on and off the way it is set up now? Next plug one of those big handle switches into strip and plug lathe into that. That is the most simple way out. I would not use a foot switch for tools where you walk around such as a lathe. Accidental step on could cause a problem. I use foot switches momentary ones on all my scroll saws. But that tool I am always sitting down when I use. One thing you never want to do is use one of those variable speed switches in conjunction with a variable speed tool. The possibility of burning the electronics on the tool are possible.

jwoodwright

Thank you all. Great ideas all. I was worried as the Powermatics remote is low voltage. My first thought was wiring a switch between the power switch and the reset. This is the hot side, albeit 110v.

jwoodwright

Going with egnald or randyris seems the easiest. I was searching for the reverse schematic monophoto did. My old computer locked up and nothing could be saved.

Thank you all.

Top Bottom