Emergency Stop Switch Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Without this turning into a battle between Tesla and Edison, I was wondering if this switch was safe operate on any (one) of the following:
  • Jet 1221
  • Jet 1015
  • ShopFox 1.5 HP Dust Collector
  • Rockler Wallmount 3/4 HP Wallmount Dust Collector
  • A 4 watt night light LOL (teasing)
Safety Power Tool Switch - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I am assuming that if you respond with an answer that you have the experience or credentials to advise. I don't need know who attended MIT, Cooper Union, wired a nuclear submarine, or spent 20 years as a journeyman for Local 3. If you are answering, my assumption is that you know. I trust you.

I understand that I am responsible for any advice that I accept. I could always ask my electrician, but I thought I would throw it out there, given many of you may own the switch.

I understand tax code, accounting, and HR...I know zero about electric, other that not to play around with it.

Thanks for reading and replying.

I have owned the switch for 18 months, but never used it because I heard that it wasn't safe to use (despite folks using it without incident for years).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Tony; I will see if I can save you some time reading all those reviews!! No switch is 100% safe be it toggle, push button, or disconnect. I have seen all of them fail just like any other device in the world !!! This switch looks like the safety switches that we used on all our machines in the paper mill. Industry quality, positive start and stop, large stop button. Can not be turned on by bumping into it, and can be turned off with your hip or knee while keeping you hands on the work piece should something go wrong. Make sure it is UL listed, and made by a known manufacture, and not a cheap knock off. We had 10's of thousands of these switches in our mills, with very few failures. Only question I have is how do you plug your tools into the switch ?? Our's were all hard wired. Jim S

Last edited:

RedBeard

If it helps I've had the same switch from the same supplier on my router table running a 1.75HP router. While I'm not an electrician or a EE I have a pretty solid electrical background and I have no qualms about continuing to use this switch.

jttheclockman

Tony you know my creds so I may qualify under your form.:) If it does not have a UL label on it I am not even plugging the thing in to begin with. It is a 15 amp switch and that is fine if you keep it to that limit for which it is rated. Some people start piggy backing things such as dust collectors on it with whatever machine they are controlling. Not a good idea. It is a manual mechanical on /off switch in other words it needs to be pushed on and pushed off. If there is a power failure the tool will still come back on when power is turned back on. So if a breaker trips the tool starts right up again.

Why you would need such a switch on a lathe or dust collector is curious. These type switches are best designed for tablesaws or routers. It is just that a safety switch and will work as well as the parts that are installed in it.

bobleibo

Tony
For what it's worth...
I have 4 of those on my lathe, table saw, band saw and router table. Would not be without them. I have each one mounted where I can reach it with my knees just in case.
Bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom