email change

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

After many years exede (ViaSat) decided to no longer support emails. Suddenly I was getting an error message regarding send and receive. Finally I called my computer guy and he logged into my computer and found the reason why it wasn't working. I guess they had something on their web site about it but I rarely if ever monitor that. So now I'm Gmail which is again google. Monopoly? Seems like industries are getting down to just a few whether it's beef or internet. So much for competition.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

No thank you. It may be intimidating for non-technical people , but consider getting your own domain for your own email, and hosting it with an independent service. Talk with your "computer guy" about it. You can try to limit the information you give to Google. Start by hosting your own email.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
No thank you. It may be intimidating for non-technical people , but consider getting your own domain for your own email, and hosting it with an independent service. Talk with your "computer guy" about it. You can try to limit the information you give to Google. Start by hosting your own email.
That may be ok if you want to spend $100+ a year.

jasonsch

That may be ok if you want to spend $100+ a year.
Namecheap.com is the place to go for domains and cheap hosting.

Domain is $1-$20 a year depending on the top level domain ie: .com .net .io etc.
Email hosting basic plan is under $20 a year.

You do have to have some technical skills to set it up.

Or Microsoft Office 365 comes with email hosting. $99 a year but you also get their suite of software too.

I personally hate gmail because to me the user interface is squarely, IMO.

penicillin

I am here for penturning, not computer advice. Take this advice for what you paid for it:

* Install genuine Microsoft updates for Windows and the other Microsoft products on your computer (e.g., Office, Word, Excel, etc.). Those "patch" updates fix security bugs and protect your computer from being infected with malware. Hackers are constantly searching for unpatched computers to infect. Don't delay on it - as soon as the hackers learn about a new vulnerability, they get going. The hackers "disassemble" Microsoft's patches to see what they fix and how to exploit them. Microsoft patches typically follow a monthly cycle, but sometimes they release emergency patches. If you are not checking at least once a week, then you should be.

* Do not install or update any software, apps, programs, browser extensions, enhancements, or ANYTHING ELSE if you did not initiate it yourself.

* Reject any and all prompts that "just appear" and ask you to type your password. If you did not expect it and it is asking for your password, please stop and think. A lot. Then click Cancel or Reject or No or whatever denies the request.

* Create and run from an "unprivileged user account" for your routine work and data. Use your "Admin Account" only for installing software and updates. Do not login as an admin or enter your admin password routinely. Run Windows Update from the admin account. Because they lack "admin privileges", running from an unprivileged user account makes it more difficult for hackers to exploit or install their malicious software. If you see a prompt for an admin password when you are logged in using an unprivileged user account, you know that something isn't right. Just say no - don't enter the admin username and password.

Top Bottom