Elegant Sierra Chrome and Satin with Gabon Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

My first Sierra and I'm impressed by the kit. The Ebony turned and finished beautifully. Sanding the ends to the tubes was a whole nother story. I was using a 2" x 72" belt sander with a 1-1/2 HP motor with a new 120 grit belt I usually use to grind blade steel. It still took 5 min to sand the 2 ends about 1/8" each. That end grain is tough stuff. The dark wood contrast nicely with the chrome kit. The "Elegant" upgraded version of the Sierra was worth the couple extra $$. I really like the flat top.

Danny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 257
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Looks very nice. I, too, like the Elegant Sierra. Put a black circuit board blank on it and I think it makes a terrific combination--one of my favorite pens.

Regards,
Michael

1080Wayne

I also like that pen , but am a bit concerned about your approach to the ends . Sanding off that much of a very hard dense wood creates a lot of heat , unless done very slowly . That dries out the end , and will create cracks . As a rule of thumb , if the end is too hot to hold your finger on , you have overdone it . A quick douse in a glass of water until it is cool is the best treatment if that occurs .

More4dan

I also like that pen , but am a bit concerned about your approach to the ends . Sanding off that much of a very hard dense wood creates a lot of heat , unless done very slowly . That dries out the end , and will create cracks . As a rule of thumb , if the end is too hot to hold your finger on , you have overdone it . A quick douse in a glass of water until it is cool is the best treatment if that occurs .

Letting cool is partially why it took so long. It also helps to regularly clean the belt. A sharp belt and lower grit will cut with less heat. Good words of wisdom on watching the temperature.

Danny

jttheclockman

I love Gabon Ebony as an accent wood. It works well and have never had a cracking issue. But with any wood and finish heat is the enemy. Looks good. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom