Electric Bicycle Motor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

Has anyone converted a lathe to a variable speed lathe using a DC electrical bicycle motor. A 24 volt DC motor will push around an adult on a bicycle, the rpms are in the 2500 rpm plus range. This should have the power and the speed to run a lathe. I am looking at converting a late to run off the grid at remote campsites. Here is a go kart motor with controller etc. for a $100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC36V-500w...184064?hash=item4664ff9c80:g:jvcAAOSwZKBZNxeK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska. Before I broke down and bought a Jet Variable speed lathe, I converted my Harbor Freight midi to variable speed using the 3/4 HP Variable Speed Conversion kit that PSI Sells. I think it was only about $150 at the time. It served me well until I made the jump to the Jet. - Regards, Dave

darrin1200

Ive seen a number of conversions using treadmill motors. I don't see why this wouldn't work. How long would you get using a pair of car batteries, and how would you charge them?

More4dan

500 watts would be a 2/3 Hp motor, should work for a mini lathe. How it controls the speed is important. Cheap controllers vary the voltage only reducing the power as well as the speed. A Pulsed Width Modulator (PWM) will pulse the full voltage at full power to control the speed.

Many lathes use DC motors, you might want to check first, you may be able to bypass the ac to dc transformer and run it directly from batteries. You could add a switch so it would work in both ac and dc mode.

It's gonna take a large (expensive) 36 volt battery to run it for any length of time though. It my be cheaper to buy a small generator to use your lathe as is.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

Batteries start at $100 for lithium ion version, small in size, 4x10 and weighs in at less than 6 pounds. PSI conversion, not easily adaptable to being battery powered, being off grid, the solar power will more than keep the battery power up, along with all camp needs. The lathe in question is a Taig lathe, more than a mini wood lathe, also a mini metal lathe with a capable milling attachment.

More4dan

Batteries start at $100 for lithium ion version, small in size, 4x10 and weighs in at less than 6 pounds. PSI conversion, not easily adaptable to being battery powered, being off grid, the solar power will more than keep the battery power up, along with all camp needs. The lathe in question is a Taig lathe, more than a mini wood lathe, also a mini metal lathe with a capable milling attachment.

My Chinese mini metal lathe uses a DC motor. My Rikon 12 x 22 Wood lathe also uses a DC motor.

Something worth checking before converting.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

smik

Has anyone converted a lathe to a variable speed lathe using a DC electrical bicycle motor. A 24 volt DC motor will push around an adult on a bicycle, the rpms are in the 2500 rpm plus range. This should have the power and the speed to run a lathe. I am looking at converting a late to run off the grid at remote campsites. Here is a go kart motor with controller etc. for a $100. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC36V-500w...184064?hash=item4664ff9c80:g:jvcAAOSwZKBZNxeK
Take a look at the consew motor. Many use on lathes, and mills. Has some quirks, such that you need to change a parameter to put in reverse. You will find much info online. https://www.lumberjocks.com/reviews/12046

dogcatcher

Lot of good suggestions, but they don't fill the needs. First the Taig with all the accessories and the bike motor and battery will fit in a carry on suitcase. The sewing machine servo motor, I already have one lathe on steroids with one. The servo motor also weighs as much as the bike motor and battery, and still no power supply.

darrin1200

I think, if it has the torque and speed, the bike motor would work. But I have never even seen one of these motors so its only an assumption.
I think what you might want to try, is dropping by a local bicycle shop. They would be able to give you a better idea on the torque and speed of these motors. You might even be able to see one in action, (off a bicycle).

Willee

You can get a variable speed DC motor with the controller ofrom Penn State Ind. for less that $100.

magpens

The lathe in question is a Taig lathe, more than a mini wood lathe, also a mini metal lathe with a capable milling attachment.

@dogcatcher

Just a word of caution: - I used a Taig lathe a few years ago for turning wood pens. . It was barely adequate, both in terms of power and mechanical construction. . It used an "off board" AC motor plugged into the household 120 volt supply and was belt driven. . No variable speed.

Unless that lathe has been upgraded considerably, I would not recommend it. . Yes, you could turn pens on it .... but only just.

I have no idea how its functionality or adequacy would be affected by a different power source. .

Just my ..... possibly very outdated ..... opinion.

dogcatcher

I have used the Taig off and on for over 10 years. I made pens, bottles stoppers, pendants, and most of the Penn State stuff. I have also made parts for model trains doll house furniture parts. But the pride of the shop was a black powder miniature pistol that shots BB's. It has it size limitations, but it also has more good values than most of the wood lathes on the market as it is very accurate.

Top Bottom