El Grande FB in Red Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I just finished this to give away at The Nib subforum over at Badger & Blade. I've given away a lot of shaving brushes & handles but never a pen, so I figured it was time. The kit looks and feels a bit cheap, and is very light, but the mallee burl makes it look respectable. I can't complain for a sub $13 fountain pen kit, but I won't be getting another.

I made a thread awhile back regarding how close do you get the diameter of your barrels to size. I'm happy to say that after the CA finish was sanded & polished, the lower barrel has one end at +0.003" and the other +0.001". The cap is 0.000" on both ends which I'm thrilled with, and I thank everyone that replied to that thread for the help.

Sorry for the dust on the pen in the pics, I didn't notice it until it was too late.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Another beauty Jay! Flawless fit and gorgeous finish, combined with the beautiful wood more than makes up for the kit. Good work on the tolerances, my turning is improving but I have a long way to go to be anywhere close to where you're at.

SteveAxelrod

Perfect turning and the smoothest CA finish I've seen in a long time. Add the beautiful burl and you have a FP that some lucky member of The Nib subforum is going to be a happy recipient of!

Thanks to everyone for the kind replies.

Another beauty Jay! Flawless fit and gorgeous finish, combined with the beautiful wood more than makes up for the kit. Good work on the tolerances, my turning is improving but I have a long way to go to be anywhere close to where you're at.

Thanks! I stole a technique from a member here, sorry I can't remember who or I'd give them credit. I turned the barrels slightly undersize, built up a CA finish slightly over, then sanded down to size and polished. It took some patience but this is by far my best work in terms of how close the tolerances are.

Top Bottom