Eggs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JonathanF1968

JonathanF1968

I lathed an egg.

IMG_4042.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JonathanF1968

Note: This is a chicken training device, which is why the turning/finish is a little rough. The idea is that you put a wooden egg where you want your chickens to lay (i.e., in a nesting box, rather than on the ground). They like to have communal nests. We'll see if it works.....

Lucky2

Years ago we used to use rocks for this purpose, they worked great. Most of the eggs were in the nesting boxes with the rocks, we did it to two boxes. Doing so, made it so that the hens didn't lay their eggs in the hay loft any longer.

Len

JonathanF1968

Years ago we used to use rocks for this purpose, they worked great. Most of the eggs were in the nesting boxes with the rocks, we did it to two boxes. Doing so, made it so that the hens didn't lay their eggs in the hay loft any longer.

Len
Yep, I've used rocks in the past, and they work fine. But I've been wanting to turn these for a while. Nothing is too good for my chickens.

1shootist

Len
We did this aswell when I was growing up on our farm...pops always said it was so the chickens knew where to lay their eggs. I suppose it worked as the eggs were always there.

donstephan

Eggs are a tremendous way to show the lacy medullary rays of maple, cherry, and elm and their orientation to growth rings. The result is very dramatic using red or white oak with very pronounced and closely spaced medullary rays.

JonathanF1968

After seeing Jonathan's post of his eggs, thought would be fun to make a few... this is my version.... problem is I didn't get just hen eggs, some are goose or turkey eggs and one is a Bantam egg.
View attachment 235800View attachment 235801View attachment 235802
Those look great! How are you finishing them? There is a whole world of decorative egg stands, on Etsy, etc., if you are looking for another thing to spend money on, but your bowl is perfect for them. It's a good thing that there are all different kinds of birds! Certainly, you can find a bird for whatever egg happens to come about.

Those look great! How are you finishing them? There is a whole world of decorative egg stands, on Etsy, etc., if you are looking for another thing to spend money on, but your bowl is perfect for them. It's a good thing that there are all different kinds of birds! Certainly, you can find a bird for whatever egg happens to come about.
I just sanded them up as high as I could, think up to 600, then coated them with my homemade version of Yorkshire Grit, a mixture of mineral oil, beeswax and diatomaceous earth, then buffed with Carnuba wax. They are really fun to do, but need to rig up a jig to finish the ends better. I've seen one made from PVC pipe ... don't have the pipe right now and not traveling to shop either.

Top Bottom