Edible pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to the edible pen contest.
For some it is too cold to work in the shop in February. For others this contest is a way to do something fun with family. And for others this contest is just something to make you go, "HUH"
The edible pen contest, a way to express creativity without taking yourself too seriously. The objective is to make a pen using only edible items. It doesn't have to be tasty, but it does have to be safe to eat. It doesn't have to work and unless you can make one that uses a chocolate refill and has beet juice ink it won't be allowed to compete. THe rules are simple and as follows;
1, The pen must be 100% edible. If you had to eat it there can't be anything on the plate when it is done. No toothpicks, skewers, foil, or plastic wrap.
2, The pen has to be safe to eat. No CA glue or raw hamburger.
3, No parts from pen kits.
When your pen is done just go ahead and post it in this thread.
This is for the whole family, they are allowed to help. It just has to kinda look like a pen. If you manage to use a lathe to make this let us know, the more details, the more fun. Pens can be frozen, raw, baked, candied, and barbecued or anything else that comes to mind. It just has to be 100% edible. Go out and grab what you need, just don't do what I did last time and eat your supplies before you make the pen.
Contest starts Feb. 1 and entries will be accepted through Monday the 18th. Tuesday morning I will begin the the process to select the winners.
Judging, If at all possible the winners will be decided by popular vote of the IAP members. I'll post the pens in a thread and you the members will pick your top 4 entries. If there is too many to post all of them I will have a panel pick the top 10 or so and them the masses will decide. This is a new thing we shall see how it works out.
The top 4 entries will receive prizes. Chocolate and pen blanks.
Post your entries in this thread with a brief description of what it is made of and how it was made.
Let the games begin.

Ladies and gentlemen this is a look at the prizes you are playing for, I present to you chocolate from Seattle's own Fran. Salted caramels, chocolate caramels, some dark and milk chocolate bars, and an assortment of truffles from Dilettante chocolates. Some in coffee and some toffee. Also 1 micarta style blank (use a CA finish) and 8 acrylic blanks.
I think the best way to divide up the chocolate is to give the caramels to the kids so they get all sugared up and run around the house, give your spouse the coffee chocolate so they can keep up with the kids. Wait for the sugar crash, and then you can go to the shop and turn the blanks with nobody to bother you. :biggrin: There is also a picture of 2 pens I've turned from the blanks. Have fun.

Attachments

• Home cast.JPG
    Home cast.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 522
  • edible pen prize.JPG
    edible pen prize.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 939
I like it. A pen salad with dressing. Just a reminder to allThis contest ends on the 18th and there are 4 prizes The bar has been set. If your trapped in your house by the storm head for the kitchen.

I must admit that at one point last we might have been down to 3 1/2 prizes.:redface: but I really like the milk chocolate bars. It's the kind of chocolate that you break off a piece and just suck on to until it's gone. Not a fan of dark chocolate so I haven't tried it. If there is only one entry That means there is more for me. :biggrin:

johncrane

This is my longclick Breakfast pen!
the blank is made up with the kids favorite Kelloggs Froot Loops, clip and nib will be a bit chewy it is 18crt gold lemon, The Ivory clicker is Potato and it's shaft goes right down thru the loops to hold it all together nib is pushed into loop end, to top it off edible paper pancake and honey ink.yum!yum!:wink::biggrin:

Attachments

• 100_3471.JPG
    100_3471.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 457
  • 100_3473.JPG
    100_3473.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 351

alankulwicki7

Here is my entry:

The cap is a chocolate bear from Lindt's with a Starburst clip. The body is Tootsie Roll with bands of Starburst and the ink is Brer Rabbit Molasses. The fountain point nib and the end cap are Hot Tamales.

The best part of all is that it matches our dinner ware!

Attachments

• edpenb.jpg
    edpenb.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 419
  • edpena.jpg
    edpena.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Joe S.

Just finished this bad boy up, its got a #8 Schmidt nib, which is held on by a noodle. The body is a closed-end pretzel, and the cap is a segmented piece with at least 4 saltine crackers. I used the top brand of PB glues available on the market, Skippy Natural, I'm pleased with the results and may give them a positive review in the cheer & jeer forum. The finish is the standard 3 coats of thick viscosity honey, and the clip was salvaged from a piece of bread. For an authentic writing experience, I decided to make this a dip pen, a challenge to say the least. Overall I'm pleased with the results, however, it doesn't feel quite right in the shirt pocket...

Attachments

• DSCN3853.jpg
    DSCN3853.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCN3856.jpg
    DSCN3856.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN3852.jpg
    DSCN3852.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN3850.jpg
    DSCN3850.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 328

healeydays

Fruitcake anyone?

This pen is named a snack for Santa.

The body is made of a finely aged Hostess fruitcake
The nib is a piece of orange chocolate nib
The clip is a fine Tahitian vanilla bean
and the ink is is Hershey syrup

Enjoy...

Attachments

• fruitcake 2013.jpg
    fruitcake 2013.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 365

allisnut

Here is our submission for your viewing and dining pleasure. This beauty is made from the finest, and extremely rare, hot dogwood burl, grown only in Frankfurter, Germany. The clip, center band, and nib are genuine 24 carat cheddar cheese. The ink is French's finest mustard.

Enjoy!

DSCN3854_zps2a83fb61.jpg

markgum

my entry...

A fine pearl mozzarella pen with a 24 K fine aged cheddar nib. The ink is a spiced Merlot; and the clip is made from the finest wheat thin cracker. The parchment is the best nan bread one can find.

my son said it made a wonderful quesadilla

I made it in about 1 hour with chocolate blanks and clip, glued on strawberry tip, and I thought I would add some bling with decoration on the cap and clip in the Art Deco style (all I could think of at the time), and a carrot center band. Now I hope I didn't ruin the Art Deco style movement.:biggrin:

Can I eat it now or do I need to wait?

Attachments

• 2013-02-16 19.20.52.jpg
    2013-02-16 19.20.52.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 249
  • 2013-02-16 19.19.49.jpg
    2013-02-16 19.19.49.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 301

woodwzrd

Well, here is my entry

It is a tasty combo of apple and grape jolly rancher candies that I heated the ends with a torch and fused them together. I decided to go with a hidden clip on this one. I did such a good job hiding it it looks non-existant. (ok so there really is no clip) I decided to go with a cigar look with an offset centerband. I had plans to make it actually write but ended up coming down with a stomach bug that put an end to my shop time today.
DSCN4497_zpsf334baf2.jpg

Fatdawg

Here is a one of a kind dinner pen. This single tube pen features a cucumber body, celery click mechinism, onion pocket clip, carrot nib and chocolate ink cartridge. Bon appetit!

Attachments

• Letseat.jpg
    Letseat.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 286
I don't want to cause mass panic or be the reason there are stampedes into kitchens everywhere, but there are only 2 days left to enter this contest. If it is too cold in the shop it is probably warm in the kitchen. :biggrin:

RMayoIII

here is my entry.... a 100% chocolate vertex click style pen. I used a mold taken off my vertex pen to create this very edible pen. the body has sprinkles mixed into it. it was made in five pieces and welded together with the heat of my fingers. one chocolate chip on the end of the clicker.

Attachments

• chocopen.jpg
    chocopen.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Top Bottom