Edible pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to keep the contest rules simple, judging easy, and the prizes edible. Contest rules are easy, 100% edible, perhaps not tasty but able to be eaten without endangering oneself. Prizes, western washington has a few chocolatiers maybe sending a bit of chocolate and a box of blanks to the winners. Last time they awarded prizes to the top 4 pens. I'm thinking of doing the same. Judging may be the difficult part. Last time they used a point system and a family did the judging. I don't have family and with 4 of the same prizes a poll wouldn't really work. Do I have any volunteers for judges?
Rules,
100% edible
Doesn't have to work. If it does and the pen and the ink are edible, hats off to you.
Extra value added if any parts were made on the lathe.
I think that about covers it, any thoughts? I'm going to write up the rules tomorrow night and get them over to Mike for posting on the 15th. What do you think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Edible pen contest.
For some it is too cold to work in the shop in February. For others this contest is a way to do something fun with family. And for others this contest is just something to make you go, "HUH"
The edible pen contest, a way to express creativity without taking yourself too seriously. The objective is to make a pen using only edible items. It doesn't have to be tasty, but it does have to be safe to eat. It doesn't have to work and unless you can make one that uses a chocolate refill and has beet juice ink it won't be allowed to compete. THe rules are simple and as follows;
1, The pen must be 100% edible. If you had to eat it there can't be anything on the plate when it is done. No toothpicks, skewers, foil, or plastic wrap.
2, The pen has to be safe to eat. No CA glue or raw hamburger.
3, No parts from pen kits.
This is for the whole family, they are allowed to help. It just has to kinda look like a pen. If you manage to use a lathe to make this let us know, the more details, the more fun. Pens can be frozen, raw, baked, candied, and barbecued or anything else that comes to mind. It just has to be 100% edible. Go out and grab what you need, just don't do what I did last time and eat your supplies before you make the pen

I was thinking of running the contest from the first to the 18. That is a full 2 weeks. I was wondering/thinking of a way to have the winners picked somehow by popular vote. Depending on the number of entries numbering them and putting them in a new post and having members pick their 4 favorites. Just going to have 4 winners no placements. For a prize I'll have chocolate, winner to pick milk or dark, and and 4 or 5 blanks. I have the blanks and will get the chocolate, probably Frans or one of the other local ones. Does that sound like a plan?

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Two weeks works for me Chris. Three might be better. One of the complaints I hear most often is that there just isn't enough time to complete things. We can probably stir up a few additional prizes as well depending on what we get.

:biggrin:Welcome to the edible pen contest.:biggrin:
For some it is too cold to work in the shop in February. For others this contest is a way to do something fun with family. And for others this contest is just something to make you go, "HUH"
The edible pen contest, a way to express creativity without taking yourself too seriously. The objective is to make a pen using only edible items. It doesn't have to be tasty, but it does have to be safe to eat. It doesn't have to work and unless you can make one that uses a chocolate refill and has beet juice ink it won't be allowed to compete. THe rules are simple and as follows;
1, The pen must be 100% edible. If you had to eat it there can't be anything on the plate when it is done. No toothpicks, skewers, foil, or plastic wrap.
2, The pen has to be safe to eat. No CA glue or raw hamburger.
3, No parts from pen kits.
This is for the whole family, they are allowed to help. It just has to kinda look like a pen. If you manage to use a lathe to make this let us know, the more details, the more fun. Pens can be frozen, raw, baked, candied, and barbecued or anything else that comes to mind. It just has to be 100% edible. Go out and grab what you need, just don't do what I did last time and eat your supplies before you make the pen.:eek:
Contest starts Feb. 1 and entries will be accepted through Monday the 18th. Tuesday morning I will begin the the process to select the winners.
Judging, If at all possible the winners will be decided by popular vote of the IAP members. I'll post the pens in a thread and you the members will pick your top 4 entries. If there is to many to post all of them I will have a panel pick the top 10 or so and them the masses will decide. This is a new thing we shall see how it works out.
The top 4 entries will receive prizes. Chocolate and pen blanks.
Post your entries in this thread with a brief description of what it is made of and how it was made.
Let the games begin.

I left the date at the 18 because it does give people 3 weekends to complete and me a few days to get ready for the voting and a week for people to vote. I'm still casting blanks. There will be 1 "micarta style blank in each box and so far I have 18 PR blanks made and will make more. Also have some nice wood ones. The chocolate is from a local gourmet chocolatier (Fran's). She was featured on the food network last year. I'll have some caramels, salted caramels, and some bars. It will be a small priority mail box full of blanks and chocolate. If all looks good I'll move this over to the public forum. If you think it needs changes let me know. Better from you than from the members later.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
It looks fine to me Chris. I am going to copy and paste it in to your sub-forum so when Jeff makes the public Birthday Bash Forum visible it will already be in there.

Top Bottom