Ebony and Ivory Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duderubble

I've been wanting to do this for awhile. I have faux ivory and African Blackwood (less prone to cracking later than ebony I'm told). I will do either a Kojent or magnetic graduate. My original thought was to do just a blackwood cap and ivory lower barrel but I'm wondering if segmenting would be better. Thoughts? Ideas on how you would segment?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I personally am not a fan of using two different materials for the cap/body without at least some segmenting. I think there needs to be something, even if it is very small, that brings the cap/body together. When I think about black/white pens the first IAP members that come to mind are @skiprat and @jttheclockman . Often B&W segmenting looks nice with aluminum accents. I also really like a simple segmented style that uses endcaps with something (possibly aluminum or brass) to separate, this is something that @mark james does a lot with great success.

Here are a few that I find appealing, but of course there are plenty more examples in the vast IAP wonderland:

Dehn0045

The endcap style is super easy -- its what I do when I want to step out of the box a little and do some segmenting 🤪

here are a couple more that I was thinking about but didn't find for my last post:

Waves could be done as straight segments to make a little easier:

This would look nice without aluminum accents:

Pool cue style would be nice in B&W:

jttheclockman

That last one is kind of what I was thinking if I segmented.
If you are going to do something like that mix it up some and add your own touch. You can make the cap black as the main color and the body white is the main color. I would do 2 stripes instead of one on both ends with the main color as a thin stripe in between. Use both black and white acrylic strips. Another example is my Gabon Ebony and Holly pen.

Copy (2) of IMGP0937.JPG
Copy of Copy of IMGP0892.JPG

duderubble

Yeah I was thinking of doing black as the dominant color on one half and ivory on the other half. I don't know if I want brass/aluminum segments or acrylic like pickguard.

dpstudios

Not as spectacular as those by JT and others ,but here's one I did a while back.

duderubble

Here's my first attempt. Execution isn't perfect. There are some glue lines. I think I'll use epoxy and clamp next time. I'm not all that pleased with the design either. I think I want something simpler. I almost feel like the black cap and Ivory barrel would have been better.

Attachments

• 20200611_180206.jpg
    20200611_180206.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200611_180252.jpg
    20200611_180252.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 93

TDahl

The timing of this post couldn't have been more perfect. I just completed a pen I had been wanting to make for a while. The cap and barrel are contrasting black and white Lava Bright blanks on a Poseidon Roller Ball.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2146.jpg
    IMG_2146.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom