Ebonite - Too good to be true?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I always preferred the 16mm versus the 20 or 22 due to waste. When you think about the volume, 16 is only a little more than 1/2 of the 22 so the price should be a lot less. Hope its good stuff with not too many voids.

Brooks803

Im no ebonite expert, but i remember reading something about avoiding the ones made in india. Something to do with voids or subpar ingredients. If you do buy some maybe do a small order to see if you like it first.

crabcreekind

I always preferred the 16mm versus the 20 or 22 due to waste. When you think about the volume, 16 is only a little more than 1/2 of the 22 so the price should be a lot less. Hope its good stuff with not too many voids.

Also, i like 16mm because it fits in my 5/8 collet

mrburls

This guy has had these listed for a few months on eBay. Don't know what the quality is like, but hope you guys good luck with it.

Keith "mrburls"

vanngo5d

I purchase this back in March it all arrived in great shape took 1 month almost to the day to get here. I havent ran into any voids or bad spots. Have cut up several pieces, Turns nicely still learning to polish correctly. Read not to much heat helps. Good colors through out very earthly (brown, green, olive, and black)

Don Vann

Andrew_K99

I purchase this back in March it all arrived in great shape took 1 month almost to the day to get here. I havent ran into any voids or bad spots. Have cut up several pieces, Turns nicely still learning to polish correctly. Read not to much heat helps. Good colors through out very earthly (brown, green, olive, and black)

Don Vann

Thanks for the feedback Don.

AK

Robert111

Yeah, I bought a batch of 10 a while ago and did notice some voids--pinholes would be a better description. Problem is, they collect dust and show up as white during the turning process. But they're so small, if they weren't white, they'd never be noticed. I solved the problem with an extra fine Sharpie. I just blacken the pinhole when I get to the polishing stage.

By the way, plastic polish is the way to go if you want a shiny look. Some, of course, like ebonite to have a satin look.

I liked the stuff enough to buy 10 more rods a couple weeks ago--this time all black ones--that's a lot of sections!.

By the way, my rods measure about 15.75 mm.

dow

Yeah, I bought a batch of 10 a while ago and did notice some voids--pinholes would be a better description. Problem is, they collect dust and show up as white during the turning process. But they're so small, if they weren't white, they'd never be noticed. I solved the problem with an extra fine Sharpie. I just blacken the pinhole when I get to the polishing stage.

By the way, plastic polish is the way to go if you want a shiny look. Some, of course, like ebonite to have a satin look.

I liked the stuff enough to buy 10 more rods a couple weeks ago--this time all black ones--that's a lot of sections!.

Robert, could you post a shot or two of a pen made from this?

Don Vann

Don, have you seen any pinholes in the rods you got? Also, could you share a photo as well if you have one?

Thanks!

Thanks.

Last edited:

Robert111

Thanks.

Here ya go. That green/black doesn't like to have its picture taken.

Attachments

• Kitless #4 Black Ebonite Agate Accent 009.jpg
    Kitless #4 Black Ebonite Agate Accent 009.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 370
  • GreenBlk Ebonite Custon 007.jpg
    GreenBlk Ebonite Custon 007.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 301

vanngo5d

Don Vann

Don, have you seen any pinholes in the rods you got? Also, could you share a photo as well if you have one?

Thanks!

Thanks.

Yea a few small ones i haven't used to much of it. Not to bad, Here is one i did in the green on an Atrax. Looked though some others sticks and closed end barrels and didn't see any.

Don Vann

Attachments

• greenebonite.jpg
    greenebonite.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 274

Andrew_K99

I've not turned any of it yet. Time is limited and life is rather hectic with a 4 month old and a 2 year old! I've built a light box over the last week or so and will hopefully get to turn a few really soon! I'll post the results as soon as I do.

AK

OKLAHOMAN

Andrew thank for reviving this thread I too have had no problems associated with these and have just received my 5th shipment , these are the 18MM rods and we'll see how they fair, but I'm willing to say they will be excellent also .

Top Bottom