Ebonite Maelstrom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Don't blame me if www.exoticblanks.com is out of these. I didn't buy them all!

Coral

attachment.php

Earth Brown

attachment.php

Black and Tan

attachment.php

Available here.

Thanks to all who stop to look and particularly to those who offer a comment!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nickfff

Lou,
They look very good.

I especially like the third one.

Is it...

"Tan Marbled Ebonite"

Thanks,
Nick

mrburls

Lou, Ebonite pens look great. What kind of finish did you put on them?

I did a black and yellow ebonite with the jr. statesman kit. I think the ebonite is very easy to work with. My wife thought it was one classy pen when she saw it.

Keith "mrburls"

cnirenberg

Lou,
I love the ebonite. Is it true that it smells like a science experiment when turning? It's nice to see the before and after photos of the material also. Thanks for the quick link.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool !!!:cool:

My favourite is also the tan and black one. :biggrin:That's really very nice. Not too keen on the others though.

Hopefully my stuff will arrive some time this year .......:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Lou, Ya got me to cut a lot of ebonite last night!! Still stinks.

But the posted pens are GORGEOUS!!! Having seen the blanks Dawn bought, I was not impressed --- but you SURE MADE NICE PENS out of them!!!!

So, everyone, yes there IS more, but not a lot of any one color combo. And there are several combos that look better (in raw form) than THESE did.

Thanks for showing what these blanks can look like, Lou!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of the generous comments. A couple of interesting notes. When this material was in its heyday, the solid coral or almost any red was difficult to produce. It remains one of the more collectible colors. The earth brown, or any brown, is nearly impossible to find from the '20's or '30's. Most ebonite pens were discontinued towards the end of the 1930's due to the rubber being used for the war effort in Europe.
The black and tan is "Tan Marbled Ebonite on the website. I finish ebonite with lacquer. It needs something or it oxidizes badly. Turning ebonite smells like "peeling out" for those of you who remember the term from the 1950's and 1960's.
And Ed, I'm glad your house smells like mine!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks for all of the generous comments. A couple of interesting notes. When this material was in its heyday, the solid coral or almost any red was difficult to produce. It remains one of the more collectible colors. The earth brown, or any brown, is nearly impossible to find from the '20's or '30's. Most ebonite pens were discontinued towards the end of the 1930's due to the rubber being used for the war effort in Europe.
The black and tan is "Tan Marbled Ebonite on the website. I finish ebonite with lacquer. It needs something or it oxidizes badly. Turning ebonite smells like "peeling out" for those of you who remember the term from the 1950's and 1960's.
And Ed, I'm glad your house smells like mine!

Well, almost!!!!

I suspect you don't have "eau de serpent corpse" as a bonus!!!

pipecrafter

If you work enough ebonite, you'll get desensitized to the smell. Even sanding and grinding won't pose any problems. I don't even notice it anymore - though it still send my wife running.

Now water buffalo, there's a stinky material!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
If you work enough ebonite, you'll get desensitized to the smell. Even sanding and grinding won't pose any problems. I don't even notice it anymore - though it still send my wife running.

Now water buffalo, there's a stinky material!

It's just hard going from rosewood to ebonite. :eek:

Again, thank you, friends, for the generous comments!

Top Bottom