Ebonite and Yellow Heart Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

Here's my latest. Wild grain yellow heart sleeved with ebonite. The transition from barrel to section I did a little differently by adding a step. In the end it ended up a little long, but manageable. I have left the finial removable for a clip swap later.
Cap threads 12mm
#6 Bock
Q,C & C welcome.
BE191B49-47FA-4165-A39F-34B6ABC41681.jpeg
676DBDB4-D934-49EB-A998-0D4EA4A1657A.jpeg
4E27667D-03E1-4DCD-94E1-278D2A75F53E.jpeg

Attachments

• 24887FF5-6794-4DE9-A420-2D0038A1B582.jpeg
    24887FF5-6794-4DE9-A420-2D0038A1B582.jpeg
    614.2 KB · Views: 100
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

That is absolutely Beautiful! I love how the dark curly grain in the yellow heart goes so well with the black ebonite. The finial matches the gold clip and looks nice but if it were mine I think it might have preferred a little yellow heart inlay instead with a black clip (but idk if that's even possible). Either way it is a Looker! Nicely done!

PatrickR

That is absolutely Beautiful! I love how the dark curly grain in the yellow heart goes so well with the black ebonite. The finial matches the gold clip and looks nice but if it were mine I think it might have preferred a little yellow heart inlay instead with a black clip (but idk if that's even possible). Either way it is a Looker! Nicely done!
Thanks!
using yellow heart in the finial was my first choice but I didn't have any left from this blank and it was quite different than the other pieces i have.
a black clip would be nice. I need to start making my own clips and plan on switching this one out at some point.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful. I have never seen Yellow Heart with this grain - exceptional! The elements all come together well, and I love your finial top! 👏 👏

TDahl

Outstanding work Patrick. I love everything about the pens. Love the finials and the finish. Your threads are very clean. What did you use to cut them (single-start die?)

Jans husband

I am very impressed by your pen Patrick. I wish I was half as skilled.

I have looked in Resources for any tutorial about sleeving kitless pens, but without success.

Would you allow me to hijack your thread to ask:-Can anyone point me in. the right direction to enable me to try this skill?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike

Chriscb

Great work, and stunning pen. The swirls of the band material echos the grain in the wood. The black Bock nib forces the eye to notice the wood of barrel. I am not a fan of a high gloss finish, I like to feel the wood.

PatrickR

Great work, and stunning pen. The swirls of the band material echos the grain in the wood. The black Bock nib forces the eye to notice the wood of barrel. I am not a fan of a high gloss finish, I like to feel the wood.
Thanks!
i like the idea of bare wood but do not like open grain. i have one in the works that I plan on not using any finish. It uses Castelo (like box wood). I love how this wood feels and it takes a nice polish with no open grain.

Top Bottom