Easy Wood or Woodpecker’s UltraShear Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pompeio

I am going to purchase either the mid-size Easy Wood or Woodpecker's Ultra Shear turning tools. I am not going to invest in a sharpening system at this time and will be using the carbide insert type.
Easy Wood has the flat bars and the Ultra Shear's have the flat side but then two angled sides to get the shearing action with the cutters.
I would like your opinion regarding what ones you would select and why given these two options.
Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I am going to purchase either the mid-size Easy Wood or Woodpecker's Ultra Shear turning tools. I am not going to invest in a sharpening system at this time and will be using the carbide insert type.
Easy Wood has the flat bars and the Ultra Shear's have the flat side but then two angled sides to get the shearing action with the cutters.
I would like your opinion regarding what ones you would select and why given these two options.
Thank you.
I have the woodpeckers set, I use shear cuts with every pen I turn. Anything to help that type of cut is a win to me. Woodpeckers carbide, in my opinion, is the best out there. Their inserts also fit easy wood tools and many others. They have a chart on their site.

penicillin

I don't own either brand. Here is one consideration that I wish I had thought of when I bought my turning tools:

Easy Wood has a patent on negative rake carbide tips. They are the only ones who make or sell them. If you are planning on turning "challenging" pen blanks, such as special plastics, one of those coffee bean blanks, or hempwood, for example, being able to fit those negative rake tips on your tools might be useful.

I have Sorby high speed steel (HSS) traditional turning tools and three Rockler full size carbide turning tools. I wish I had bought the Easy Woods carbide tools instead of the Rockler ones, so I could try negative rake carbide tips on my turning tools.

mmayo

I own and use both of the lathe tools you mention. The medium length tool is too long for me usually. I turn pens, razors, bottle stopper and shave brushes so the easy start length seems right.

I have been using the larger 15 mm 2" radius ultra sheer tool more lately. The final sizing near the TBC bushings is better achieved for me with the smaller 11 mm easy start tool.

Best of luck

MRDucks2

I have been turning a few years now, not as many as a lot of folks here. But I do love to experiment and learn things.

I started out and still use one of the Harbor Freight HSS sets. I also have a nice set of Rikon carbide. I have 2 from T Shadow, including the negative rake shank for regular carbide. A Sorby hollowing tool and a Cryogenic bowl gouge. I also have bought some of the Easy Wood negative rake carbide to use on other tools.

In all honestly they are all decent and can turn wood well. I know how to sharpen and am getting better. What I have found to be more important to my success and satisfaction is the comfort of the tool in my hand at the lathe.

I like to have my rear hand near my hip. I often like my thumb on the shank somewhere. What I now look for is a handle in the 12-14" range, longer than most pen sets, and a shank length of 5-6" exposed. If I get a tool in the overall 16-18" length I am comfortable. That seems to bring me more success and satisfaction that any brand or any particular specialty.

Negative rake does make a difference on some blanks. Once you understand why, though, this can be achieved at least 3 different ways.

Think about what you use now and the comfort level when using. Once you find a comfort zone in handle and tool size you may find that straying outside of those parameters is a bigger influence on you decision than anything else.

JohnU

Out of the two, I've only used Easy Wood. I find them to be very comfortable in the hand and easy to achieve the cuts I strive for. I have no reason to try any other brand. Great product and great people. Also, thanks may be wrong but I believe Easy Wood is the only carbide tool company who actually makes their own carbide cutters.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

I started out with the Rockler carbide set . I think the tool lengths are comparable to the Easy Wood Tools, Easy Start series, but the I am pretty sure that the Easy Start has a longer handle than the Rockler tools do. Before very long I bought the Mid-Sized Easy Wood Tools, Rougher, Finisher, Detailer, and Parting Tool. They are my favorites.

When they became available I also bought some of the Negative Rake cutters. I like them too, but I made a set of angled cutter tools that provide about the same attack angle as the Negative Rake cutters, but use standard flat cutters instead. The angle was put into the tool rather than into the handle. Not exactly the same, but they seem to work for me. (Some pictures of one of the tools and my design notes are attached).

In addition, for shear cuts as has been discussed, I bought one of Magicbob's (T. Shadow & Co.) Magical Skews and added an extension to make the tool longer (more comparable to the Mid-Sized Easy Wood Tools lengths). I simply inserted a forester bit extender between the handle and the tool to extend the length.

I buy all of my inserts (replacement cutters) in 10 packs from AZ Carbide, azcarbide.com. They also sell a line of Full Size (25-inch) and Hybrid Sized (19-inch) tools under the trademark "AXE" by Carter Products.

Although I haven't used any of the Ultra-Shear tools, the flat plus shear capabilities may be a plus. I think they may also make a carbide parting tool. Either way you decide to go, you should wind up with some good, solid, quality tools.

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0831 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_0831 Cropped.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0834 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_0834 Cropped.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 123
  • NR Notes (Scan) 001.jpg
    NR Notes (Scan) 001.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 135