Easy Peasy Spirals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Chrome Knurl GT. Woods are goncola alves, purpleheart and holly. End caps are some leftover maple burl pieces dyed purple.
3DE7941E-7FD3-4BEB-BE8F-67A58716B1A3.jpeg
3F5E7840-094B-4632-8DF4-E35E0769DD1E.jpeg
21CFA4BC-19E5-4866-A331-2BD1E13FD7A9.jpeg

Attachments

• 3B757201-23DF-4F8F-BEB4-6F5CCDD971B1.jpeg
    3B757201-23DF-4F8F-BEB4-6F5CCDD971B1.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 144
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@KenB259

Interesting design, Ken !! . Very attractive.
I wonder if this is how you made it .... let me know !

You cut a slot on each of the 4 sides of an accurately squared blank ... from corner to opposite corner on each side.
Then you glued the triple-veneer inlay into each slot. . Then you rounded and added the end caps. .
Would that be right ?

I submitted a similarly-designed pen to the BASH two or three years ago. .
I wonder if the pics would still be on IAP ....

EDIT:
I think this is it .... thanks to a very helpful member (who shall go unnamed) for assisting with location of the photos.

1621729539056.png

Last edited:

KenB259

@KenB259

You cut a slot on each of the 4 sides of an accurately squared blank ... from corner to opposite corner on each side.
Then you glued the triple-veneer inlay into each slot. . Then you rounded and added the end caps. .
Would that be right ?

Mal you pretty much nailed it. The only thing you need to pay attention to is to measure the length you need, for any given pen, is to measure each side of the center of the glued up blank. Otherwise you won't end up with the same width stripes.

magpens

Mal you pretty much nailed it. The only thing you need to pay attention to is to measure the length you need, for any given pen, is to measure each side of the center of the glued up blank. Otherwise you won't end up with the same width stripes.

Yes, of course, the piece of blank you start with has to be accurately the length of the pen you are making to ensure that the spirals are equally spaced around the final pen barrel.

KenB259

@KenB259

Would that be right ?

EDIT:
I think this is it .... thanks to a very helpful member (who shall go unnamed) for assisting with location of the photos.

View attachment 307463
I like that Mal. The thin red pieces are a nice touch. I have never seen those pen "components" before.

magpens

I like that Mal. The thin red pieces are a nice touch. I have never seen those pen "components" before.

Thanks, Ken. . Those pen "components" were all made on my metal lathe. . The only purchased parts are the refill and spring.

The pen was my entry in the 2018 BASH Kitless Contest. .
I have made others with different inlay structures/colors, but have not shown because I don't do photographs very often.

Kcimdrib

Excellent pen with a twist I just wish I had the patience to create the blank never mind the pen. Very well done Ken.

Top Bottom