Easter Egg Basket

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
The perfect Easter Egg Basket, carved from an egg!

Attachments

• Easter Basket 01.jpg
    Easter Basket 01.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 209
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Eric you are such a show-off:rolleyes::wink: J/K. Beautiful work. LOML says that she wants some egg-creations and I told her to contact YOU. My hands shake too bad that i WOULD NOT DARE TO TRY. Out of curiosity what speed grinder do you use to work with eggs? While I worked at Woodcraft I had thought of buying one of those carving grinders to do wolves but never got the nerve up to do it. Keep up the beautiful work.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone.

Mike - The tool I use is a pneumatic carver that runs 320,000 RPM, around 8x faster than Fordom / Wecheer. It uses 1/16" shank carbide dental burs. The tool itself is similar in size to a Sharpie.

For the sort of work I do, you want an oil-less carver like the one I use, the NSK Presto. Another popular oil-less carver of this speed is the TurboCarver. I've never used a TurboCarver so can't give an informed opinion of it. The other popular high speed pneumatic carver on the market is the Power Carver, but it uses oil, and folks trying to do the sort of stuff I do claim it makes too much of an oily mess, and they eventually switch to the NSK Presto or the TurboCarver.

There are techniques that one can use to minimize hand shake, when I carve this stuff I am pretty much hugging the piece if it's a turning, or if its an egg, it is cradled in one hand. In either case my right forearm is steadied against my chest. With an egg my left arm is steadied against my chest. With a turning, it's either in my lap or hugged against my chest. Since one holds the tool like a pen, one braces ones hand against the piece much like your hand is on contact with paper when you write.

A friend has a Parkinson's like condition but with the right posture and tool grip, he can get the necessary tool control to make beautiful art gallery quality turnings.

With imagination, you can come up with techniques to reduce hand shake. Whether these techniques would work to reduce your hand shake to the point this would work for you I can't tell, but I believe that if you can train yourself to draw steady lines on something held like I describe above, you can use this tool to cut steady lines.

Top Bottom