Earth Cast - Simbawa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

karlkuehn

Banned
Finally got around to turning one of these blanks. :)

I was very happy with the way it turned, it was plenty stable, lots of ribbons flying!

Finish is MM12K, CA/BLO, CA, MM12K, white diamond polish and Ren wax. Kit is a satin pearl Euro from Bear Tooth Woods minus the centerband - I wanted to show as much blank material as possible. Added a doo dad by the nib, extending the line of the nib cone.

EarthCast_Simbawa1_1.jpg

EarthCast_Simbawa1_2.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments/suggestions/questions welcome! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

You did a fine job on that one---the only small thing that might of helped ---a very thin black strip for a center band.
Your fit---finish and photo are perfect.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by wdcav1952

Awesome blank and turning result, Karl. Have you ever considered selling any of your blanks? ;)

hehe...the thought had crossed my mind...;)[:p]

I've been so busy filling custom orders that I haven't had enough time to fill my classifieds listing back up!

I've got a bunch to ship out in the morning, 6 of which are going to Singapore of all places! hehe

Soon I'll be set up to go into high production, though! :D

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

snowman56

Karl, I have turned two of them now and had absolutely wonderful comments. My wife confiscated the last one, tried to get the first one, too, but I had to have one to show to my customers. Everyone raves about it. I am sure I will be buying some more soon. I love the way it turns and turns out!!!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by BrentK

I bought some of those blanks from Karl cant wait to turn them hopefully tomorrow. Very nice Karl you are deffinately and artist. Thanks for all your help.

Please take it easy, Brent!! Some of us have to live in the state of Pennsylvania with Karl AND his ego!!!!! :D[}:)];)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by wdcav1952
Please take it easy, Brent!! Some of us have to live in the state of Pennsylvania with Karl AND his ego!!!!! :D[}:)];)

Hey, I'd like to come in and read all the wonderful things everyone's saying about me, but I...just can't....seem to sq..squeeze my head in the *grunts* doorway...geez, did someone shrink the...hunnnngghhh!...door....*grunt*...little help...[}:)]:)

Thanks a lot you guys. To date, these types of blanks are by far my favorite to make. They take a little while longer with all the clean up and detailing, but they're really worth it. I keep finding myself just staring into the pen every now and then, they are pretty neat looking, the 'ocean' looks so deep with the translucence and the pearl. After I finish up the Blank of the Month run, I'm going to put together a bunch of these. Aside from all the orders, I really want to get my classified restocked...I'm getting some serious dust bunnies on those shelves! heh

Thanks again!

altaciii

karl,
Your work is always a masterpiece! I really like the way your earth casts look in both the euro and cigar. An aside: errr.
I know there is a tutorial in the library somewhere to make a bandless euro like this beautiful example. I've searched and searched to no avail.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by altaciii

karl,
Your work is always a masterpiece! I really like the way your earth casts look in both the euro and cigar. An aside: errr.
I know there is a tutorial in the library somewhere to make a bandless euro like this beautiful example. I've searched and searched to no avail.

Thanks Alex! [:I]

Euro/Designer center band modifications are about the easiest thing out there, and I think it really adds to the pen when the blank calls for it.

I'm not sure where the tutorial is, but here's what I do, er, at least on this type of mod. Half the time I'm just winging it. heh

I turn the upper barrel as normal, and I use the adjustable 'Designer Sizing Sleeve' bushing thing in the middle; I think I got it from Woodturningz for 2 or 3 dollars. The intended use is that after you turn the upper barrel to size, you slide the outer sleeve back, revealing a smaller bushing underneath that you use as a guide to cut the tenon if you're using the center band.

After I turn the upper barrel, I slide that outer sleeve away to give me a little clearance on the end of the tube, and then I just put a little chamfer on the edge, mimicking the profile of the original center band. You can add decorative rings or beads around the upper barrel for some added flair, too. All of this is done after I've completed the finish sanding. After I cut the chamfer, I sand the edge, add finish as necessary, and set the tube aside for white diamond polish.

When I do the lower tube, instead of the stock sized bushing on the cap (big) side, I use something a little bigger. I think on this one I used the nib end Carbera bushing, turning it backwards since it's got that 3/8" flange on the normal side to slide inside the bigger Carbera tubes. I don't like the way the stock bushing turns the lower barrel so small on Euros. The lower tube ends up looking like a flamingo leg to me, so I just use a bigger bushing, and turn as normal.

Once I've got both tubes finish sanded, I polish them both on the wheel with white diamond, do a nice finish polish on the tube ends where they go together at the twist joint (careful not to bump them out of square).

Then I assemble the pen and Ren wax the whole mess.

Hope all that makes sense!

I'm in the middle of trying something new (well, new to me...) with the next Euro center band mod. Hopefully I'll have the pen done soon. :)

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by Dan_F

Those blanks are spectacular! With your modification to the shape, is the pen more comfortable to write with?
Dan
Thanks Dan! I think it is more comfortable to hold. I have bigger fingers, and the Euro kit nib hardware sort of drops off there right where it starts (that's the only thing I don't like about that kit), and by adding that extra mod, my fingers don't feel like they're teetering on the edge of slipping off onto the nib. :)

Originally posted by altaciii

Thanks Karl,
I'm going to practice with some inexpensive common wood of some kind before I ruin one of your cool blanks. I'll let you know how it turns out.[8)]

Regular old wood isn't going to feel quite the same as the resin/wood stuff when turning, but it never hurts to practice! Just take them slow and easy with sharp tools, and bobs yer uncle! [:p]

Originally posted by fritz64

speaking of blanks, i got my 3 pine cones plus the practice one plus some extra woodys. thank you karl fritz64

You're welcome Robert! Just go slow on the cones and keep lots of CA handy. :D I look forward to seeing your results!

Top Bottom