Dying Some maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I have searched but with no success to find a "HOW TO" on Stabling and dying some maple.

I would love to add this skill to my work.
I have a Vacuum pot and all. I have done some stabilizing which has turned out well.

A few questions:
How much dye do I add to the juice?
How long do I leave it in the Juice?
Anything to consider before I start?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

G
I have searched but with no success to find a "HOW TO" on Stabling and dying some maple.

I would love to add this skill to my work.
I have a Vacuum pot and all. I have done some stabilizing which has turned out well.

A few questions:
How much dye do I add to the juice?
How long do I leave it in the Juice?
Anything to consider before I start?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Go TurnTex website, look in the FAQs, all your questions will be answered.

egnald

I have dyed Maple, but I haven't tried stabilizing any. I pretty much only stabilize woods that are very soft or are not very stable to start with, like burls. For dying Maple, I basically turn the blank and sand it and just before applying the CA finish I dye it with alcohol ink. Here are pictures of a couple of birdseye maple pens that I dyed blue before applying the CA.

Dave

IMG_1322 Cropped.jpg
IMG_1275 Cropped.jpg

derekdd

I have dyed Maple, but I haven't tried stabilizing any. I pretty much only stabilize woods that are very soft or are not very stable to start with, like burls. For dying Maple, I basically turn the blank and sand it and just before applying the CA finish I dye it with alcohol ink. Here are pictures of a couple of birdseye maple pens that I dyed blue before applying the CA.

Dave

View attachment 353230View attachment 353231
That's what I was thinking. No need to waste the time and money stabilizing a wood that doesn't need it. I bought a couple of boards of figured maple with dense flames. I plan on cutting some up for pen blanks.

Dave, what dyes did you use here? Chestnut or Keda? They are gorgeous! Love the birds eyes on the bottom one.

egnald

That's what I was thinking. No need to waste the time and money stabilizing a wood that doesn't need it. I bought a couple of boards of figured maple with dense flames. I plan on cutting some up for pen blanks.

Dave, what dyes did you use here? Chestnut or Keda? They are gorgeous! Love the birds eyes on the bottom one.
It was branded as Ranger and came in a 3-pack of 0.5oz bottles. I bought them from our local Hobby Lobby store. If I were going to buy regular wood dye it would have to be Keda though. I've seen so many vibrant and gorgeous maple guitars that were dyed with Keda. - Dave

InkyMike

Dave

View attachment 353230View attachment 353231
Those are gorgeous - do you have your steps for dyeing with alcohol ink documented anywhere?

egnald

Those are gorgeous - do you have your steps for dyeing with alcohol ink documented anywhere?
I really didn't do anything too special or technical. I just turned the blank down and sanded with 400, 600, and 800 grit sandpaper as I would normally do. But before my first coat of thin CA I wiped on alcohol ink using a paper towel and let it dry a minute or so before starting my normal CA regimen. - Dave

derekdd

I really didn't do anything too special or technical. I just turned the blank down and sanded with 400, 600, and 800 grit sandpaper as I would normally do. But before my first coat of thin CA I wiped on alcohol ink using a paper towel and let it dry a minute or so before starting my normal CA regimen. - Dave
Dave, have you experimented with sanding a bit less to get the wood to take more dye?

I know some think sanding the wood down that finely affects how much dye it will absorb. That might also be somewhat species dependent due to open/closed pore grains.

egnald

Dave, have you experimented with sanding a bit less to get the wood to take more dye?

I know some think sanding the wood down that finely affects how much dye it will absorb. That might also be somewhat species dependent due to open/closed pore grains.
Nope - I have only applied dye on about 3 pens and they were all birdseye maple and were all dome the same way. I have some other colors of alcohol ink that came in the three pack I bought way back when so someday I might have to mess around with them again. - Dave

Top Bottom