Dyeing wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

I have blanks which had been previously dyed colors (blue, red, etc) and I want to dye them black. Has anyone attempted dyeing their wood? They are not solid- already drilled and turned round so te wood is not thick.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muggsy1776

I have blanks which had been previously dyed colors (blue, red, etc) and I want to dye them black. Has anyone attempted dyeing their wood? They are not solid- already drilled and turned round so te wood is not thick.

Thanks
I'm wondering if soaking it in a rit dye would penetrate the wood deep enough to counteract the previous color.

Todd in PA

Rit dye isn't very good for wood. I've used this Keda wood dye powder. Even comes with black.
It's powder you dissolve in alcohol from the pharmacy.

When I've used it, I turn the pen to size first, and then apply several coats to the surface. Then ca finish, or you'll end up with colored fingers writing with it.

Penchant 4

Premixed and ready to use. Give it a shake if it has been sitting...not even sure that is necessary. Thanks to Nick Agar, I have been using this for a few years. It is simple to use and quite effective.

JohnU

Unless you need a thick blank for segmenting or laser cut pieces, I've found it easier to turn the blank to finished size, then dye the surface to the colors wanted, and seal under CA. It's quicker, uses less dye and you have more control over the finished color. I've used a few different dyes liquid and powder with good results. I always mix the powder with denatured alcohol. Avoid water based dyes or you'll wait forever for the wood to dry afterwards, and risk messing up your ca finish. Gluboost Master Tints also work well for coloring wood.

dogcatcher

This comes from way back when I was making leather holsters. First I would turn them to finished size. No sanding yet, dye using Fiebings alcohol leather dye. First coat would be either dark blue or dark purple. Let that dry then sand through the grits. Next dye with Feibings
Marine Corp black.

I do not remember the reasoning as to why the dark blue or dark purple was used as a base coat but I did that decades.

Todd in PA

I found this thread, which has a bit of discussion about powdered dyes, and isopropyl alcohol being the best solvent. Good stuff in that thread.

Top Bottom