Dyed/Stabilized Corn Cobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woody0207

This question is about dyeing and stabilizing corn cob pens. The thought of a Corn Cob pen appeals to me because I grew up in the midwest where growing corn is a way of life. I'd like to make some corn cob pens for my family. After searching the forums on this topic, I have some ideas how to approach this. I would really like to get the thoughts of you experts. What has worked, what doesn't work. Here are my thoughts on steps to do it:

1) Cut the cobs to rough length
2) Drill a small hole thru the center (not the final 7mm)
3) Assuming next step would be to dye the cobs by mixing some dye and pulling a vacuum?
If yes, how much vacuum for how long?
What are some good dye mixtures?

4) Then stabilize with a 50/50 thinned poly? How much vacuum / for how long?
5) ... follow the normal steps to prep and turn
6) If it has been stabilized with poly, will it be likely that CA be necessary during turning?

As an alternate to #2 above, would it be better to drill the full size hole and turn 'em down a bit before dyeing?

Also, does the use of pressure apply here at all?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me to the above process.

fiferb

I've done a few corn cob pens and have never stabilized them. I drill the cob with the appropriate size bit, then drizzle thin CA in the hole. After it has thoroughly dried I test fit the tubes and redrill if necessary. I turn the cob to a little larger than the finished size. At this point I dye the cob on the lathe by dripping dye directly on the cob while holding and rubbing a paper towel underneath. I turn to final size and dye a little more if necessary. I then use medium or thick CA to fill holes from the kernels. Turn again to smooth out and finish with normal CA procedures.

Good luck.

Top Bottom