Dyed pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

Does anyone know if it possible to dye pen blanks youself or if it is just better to order them from companies that have been doing this for a while and know what they are doing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jenamison

I see that some have read this question does no one have an opinion on this or not know? I must put ya'll to sleep when I post questions or comment. I'm sorry I will try desperately not to be sooooooo... boring anymore. : )

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Not all of us have the experience to answer, Jen. I do know that there are a fair number of regulars who do a great job of dyeing their own, but I don't want to give an opinion on something where I don't have the experience to back it up.

JimGo

Jen, like Lou said, many here have tried different dying techniques; if you do a quick search, you'll see everything from Artisan dyes to Sharpie markers being used. From what I've seen, different dyes appear to perform differently with different woods, too. I'm about to embark on the Sharpie route tomorrow for at least one pen, and will post the results.

Just remembered this thread, which had some info:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5272

Checked

I agree with Jim. It is kind of a hit and miss proposition. Had good luck with the Sharpie on maple. Used a paint pen that worked OK on holy.

jimr

I have done several experiments in dying blanks. I use the artisan alcool base aniline dye from craft supply, woodturners catalog. There have been several threads on this subject in the past few months. Do a search and use dyed blanks. My last post was under the subject dyed elm root on 31 March. There were some before that also. Look those up and if you need more info email me.

Jim r

swm6500

Well Jen, I have dyed a few blanks. I have used the Sharpie method and also used some of the Chestnut spirit dyes from Craft Supplies. Mixed results with both. I believe it has a lot to do with the type of wood being dyed. Also believe it has something to do with what you are expecting to see. As far as not getting much response, I did a post once looking to see if someone knew how to disassemble a particular pen and never got an answer of any kind and it was viewed 102 times. I would tell you to try some dying on your own and be your own judge. If you look at my photos there is a violet maple burl that I dyed. It was dyed when I bought it, but the dye had not penetrated very well, so I re-dyed it with the Chestnut spirit dyes mixing red and blue.

lkorn

Jen,
I purchased two dyed Maple Burl blanks from woodcraft, one blue and one dark red. The blue penetrated fully and made a dark pen, the red barely penetrated at all, leaving a gorgeous pen looking like Marble. So, even the pros get mixed results. Good Luck!

20054912517_red%20dyed%20%20maple%20burl.jpg
<br />

20054912640_First%20tries.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Does anyone know if it possible to dye pen blanks youself or if it is just better to order them from companies that have been doing this for a while and know what they are doing?

Paul in OKC

I have used Solar Lux by Behlen, to dye some blanks. I did this for a wedding pen sample. (would you believe they chose a blue corian over this!) I have done an American double twist with it as well. I turn to about 1/16" over size and then dip in dye once or twice and let dry, then turned. Wood is maple burl

20054915857_wding%20pen-1.jpg
<br />.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom