dyed elm root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

This is from a small elm tree root ball. I dug it up, cut it into several 1" blanks, soaked in DNA, dryed a week, zapped in microwave a couple of times and dyed it blue. I am beginning to think that tree roots are almost like burls, at least the root ball that is underground. I think I will start hunting for root balls, but they sure are harder to "harvest" than just the tree. Another thing I hope I have learned, maybe some of you can verify or dispute this - Green blanks can be alcholoed, dryed a bit and microwaved and then turned.This one was not dry when I drilled it. I think that the heat from sanding and turning really helps dry out a blank. If you think about it, there is very little wood thickness outside the copper tube and I am wanting to think that contributes to the drying process in turning it.
The blue dye is the CSA artisan blue, I did add almost an equal amount of DNA to the dye. I think it looks a bit like some of the dyed, stabilized blanks. What do you think.

200532903745_elm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

swm6500

Well Jim, I am not sure about drying the wood, but i agree that the root of some trees have figure that is as good as burls. The pen looks great. Keep on experimenting, that is how we all learn new things.

Gary

I think it looks great. I've been wanting to try some of those CSUSA Artisian dyes. Now I know I will.

jimr

I know what you mean, Sam. This pen would have been very nice with no dye added, but I have several more blanks and the next one will be natural. I just got a wild hair to try the blue.

Daniel

Well Jim if this is what you are getting out of root balls. I can't make much of an argument against it. Extremely nice piece of wood and a good job dying it as well. I just dug up four or five very old rose bushes. Was looking at the knot at the top of the roots there. Think I'll break in my new band saw by cutting them up a bit. Never know.
as for the drying. It would make since that the thinner the wood the faster it will dry. regardless of how you went about thinning it. as for sanding turning and even drilling. these would all be doing the same thing as the microwave. Heating up the blank and causing the moisture to migrate to the surface. The problem with turning wood while it still has moisture in it is the wood will actually change shape as it dries. The thinner it is the more prone to cracking it will be. The same is true if you turn a piece of wood that is very dry then keep it or move it to a location with higher humidity. Gluing the wood to the brass helps but not always enough. Otherwise turning green wood is actually easier than dry. That is why bowl turners will turn green pieces to a rough finished shape. then let it dry before completing it.

jimr

Everything you say, Daniel, makes sense. I am going to watch this pen closely to see if any cracking or anything develops. Maybe it would be a good idea when turning blanks from not completely dried wood, to let them dry or acclimate before final shaping, sort of like rough turning green bowls.

JimGo

Nice pen! I keep seeing trees that have fallen over from the winter storms and thinking, "wow, if I only had a chain saw!" Well, that and I don't want to look like a mass murder, walking around a heavily populated area with a chain saw!

jimr

I will try to remember that Jack. I have several waiting to be turned and I planned on doing the next one without dye. I am anxious to see if the chatoyance is as vivid without any color.

Checked

Just curious about how long you left it in the Microwave.
I made some charcoal out of a oak Burl this weekend. just a touch to long in the micro.
Like the color and pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom