Dye Penetration on Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Playing with dye stabilization. Here is my second round with what I feel is about maximum penetration. Please give me your thoughts. Top 4 are Curly Hard Maple, middle 4 are Spalted Soft Maple, bottom 4 are Birch.
IMG_1262.JPG
You are looking at the cut through the center on the bandsaw. I consider this about a medium color. Lighter and they look much more streak prone with the wood. I could go a little darker still.

Thoughts on how dark/saturated they should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I'll take them!!!!! :biggrin:

That is GREAT! Do we get your recipe? Or do we need to buy it? :biggrin:

In due time. I am in pursuit of an effort to win some business. If it pans out it will stay proprietary for a while. Next is double dying. Then crossing over to large batches.

After that I will work to make the process more efficient if possible. Right now about 48-52 hours start to finish, which isn't bad.

Fun fact: I cannot get Sassafras to take color. If it has bad wood in it, that will take color fine but only stains the exterior of solid wood.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I'll take them!!!!! :biggrin:

That is GREAT! Do we get your recipe? Or do we need to buy it? :biggrin:

In due time. I am in pursuit of an effort to win some business. If it pans out it will stay proprietary for a while. Next is double dying. Then crossing over to large batches.

After that I will work to make the process more efficient if possible. Right now about 48-52 hours start to finish, which isn't bad.

Fun fact: I cannot get Sassafras to take color. If it has bad wood in it, that will take color fine but only stains the exterior of solid wood.

You will have my business! That is great!

Sassafras: Reminds me when I was living overseas and I tried dying some wood. I "thought" I would start off simple by using 6mm (1/4") square balsa wood. I put it in dye and in a vacuum for 3 days; then under pressure for 3 days. I Cut it and not even 1mm deep with color! Didn't work for me. I had two batches, red and green. (It was Christmas time). It could have been that Balsa doesn't accept color like your Sassafras didn't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom