Dye and CA interaction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I've been playing with some alcohol based wood dye sourced from Craft Supplies and trying to die light colored wood on the lathe. My problem is that when I try to coat the dye with CA there seems to be a reaction that results in the dyed portions of the pen blank turning red. The two pictured below, the left is before I apply the CA and the right is after the first coat of CA. I was careful to make sure I was moving from the left to the right and not "back and forth" as I applied the CA. You can see how the whole blank has a much redder cast to it. This is reflected as a red stain on the paper towel that I used to apply the CA.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had this experience or knows of something I could add to my process to resolve the issue.

The pen blank is un-stabilized wood, I believe maple. I am using sanding sealer on the blank before final sanding before I apply the dye.

The pen blank shown had yellow applied to the entire blank, then red applied to the right end. Ideally, I would have red on the right end, yellow on the left end transitioning through an orange area in the center of the blank.

IMG_20240126_094435.jpg
IMG_20240126_094846.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

My 2 cents. It seems there is a chemical reaction between the CA and the dye. Separate the dye from the CA by applying dewaxed shellac as the sanding sealer as John above said after the dye and before the CA. Zinser has a good dewaxed shellac sealer.

derekdd

I regularly use alcohol based wood dyes, mostly on figured maple, and always use Starbond CA for finish and haven't run into this.

Are you allowing the dye enough time to dry? I give mine a few hours of drying time before applying the finish. I use a couple of coats of thin CA as a sanding sealer.

Bope

I had a ambrosia maple blank that was lacking the ambrosia so wanted to do something to make it more interesting. I went to hobby lobby and picked up some water based dye and a alcohol dye. I use Mercury flex CA for my finish. The alcohol dye was soluble in the CA so smeared badly when applying the CA. The water based dye worked great.

Top Bottom