DVD recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I reviewed two from David Ellsworth which I really enjoyed and learned a lot from. I found that working with a more experienced turner taught me more than tapes, there many tricks or techniques that added to the learning so from the video.

just remember there are bowl turning tools don't use the common spindle gouges, I heard the will snap off in your hand if you get a catch. when it happened to me it had my attention so I found a mentor.

happy turning. after you turn some put them under a black light it is an experience to see the colors of the wood grain

medlongpens

I would check out YouTube. That is what I always do when I want to learn something new. That is how I learned how to make pens and lidded bowls. If you have a woodcraft near you, you can go there. They have classes there sometimes on how to make things.

its_virgil

YouTube is an excellent suggestion.

Woodturning Videos - Home

Some searching will get you all the videos you will want.

Lyle Jameson has an excellent 2DVD set on bowl turning.

Others who are excellent teachers and have videos are Stuart Batty, Mike Mahoney, Jimmy Clewes and others.

Do you have a local woodturning club? Clubs are excellent sources for instruction.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

randyrls

I want to try my hand at bowl turning. Does anyone have any instructional DVD to recommend?

To add to what Don said; Look on the AAW web site for a local club. Many clubs host woodturning demonstrations with professional woodturners. They also have experienced individuals that can mentor you in techniques and sources of wood locally. A hands-on session with someone is better than DVD's.

In the past, our local woodturning club has had David Ellsworth, Jimmy Clewes, Mark Sfirri, Bill Grumbine, Liam O'Neill, and others.

Last edited:

Rodnall

Just to expand on what Jim said, don't try to use a spindle roughing gouge on a bowl. The tang into the handle is a lot smaller and could break easily in a bowl.

flyitfast

Second on Lyle Jamieson's 2 DVD set. He is a natural teacher and knows the techniques and tools.
Also agree with David Ellsworth's set (which I won from the monthly AAW drawing).
Both are very complete. Even how to complete the bottom, which many videos seem to leave out or stay away from.
gordon

Top Bottom