Dust filtration & overall air quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

No debate intended here, but reading other threads got me wondering if I do enough in this area. I don't wear a respirator unless I am dealing with vapors.

I recently "cleaned" my shop after a couple of years of turning just before getting the 1 micron (I think) filter for my Jet dust collector. I also have the Jet air cleaner and a Sears GUV (garage utility vac) for chips and larger debris. My shop has remained amazingly dust free since adding the new canister to the dust collector.

I turn Cocobolo and my nasal secretions remain clear---I realize this is not a real scientific study.

Should I be doing more?

All comments appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpg
    IMG_0124.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 171

glen r

I think that the Jet or any other air cleaner is the ultimate solution when you have all the other dust collection units. I made my own air cleaner from an old furnace fan and use one layer of paper towels over 2, 20" x 20" 0.5 micron filters. the paper towels get grey/dusty after one or two turning so I change them often. The dust collector connects to my machines and turns on and off as they are used but the air cleaner fan is on all the time I am using woodworking tools in the garage - lathe, table saw, sander, jointer, etc. The end result of this is that I get minimal dust on the vehicles in the garage.

PenMan1

I do exactly as you do, EXCEPT when I turn cocobolo, etc. I still wear a respirator...mainly because I have it handy and I had a really bad reaction to cocobolo once.

Fred

I personally believe that we cannot do enough to keep our health intact. Dust control is adamant in my way of thinking, a lot of the rest is using common sense, i.e., do put fingers in the saw, be aware of all things moving, etc.

One of the best additions to your system and is a great time saver in the long-run is the cyclone trash barrel lid for pre-separation of larger parts from the turning process. I might suggest that you put your plastic bag on the JET into a properly sized trash can to avoid any possibility of rips to the bag and the ensuing mess ... DAMHIKT!!

Otherwise continue to do all you can to prevent dust contamination in your shop ... and more importantly in you lungs, eyes, etc., and remember that PREVENTION IS ALWAYS A LOT CHEAPER THAT HOSPITALIZATION! and a lot less time consuming as well.

Top Bottom