dust collectors? / vacuum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xxShadowxx

taking a room in my house and turning it into a shop, and trying to find a decent but small/quiet dust collector

mostly low dust tools, such as lathe and band saw, my belt sander is "contained" so no dust escapes except through dust collector port i made :biggrin: so just need some sort of dust collector strong enough to play sucky sucky on 1 tool at a time

so far everything is arranged so less than 5 ft from tool to dust collector inlet, and about 2 ft from outlet to a hole in the wall going directly outside, so bag isnt needed to collect dust, though i am thinking to make a box with a screen just to filter out big shavings, and a screen shouldnt slow down the air much, far less than a bag anyways

think a small 1hp would be enough?

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...ollectors/1-hp-mini-dust-collector-94029.html

tempted to use DC fans and make a fan box, as DC is easier to control speeds depending on job (high for turning, low for doing finishes etc)

tim self

If you're only making pens or maybe segmenting blanks, 1hp should be plenty. With that said, it's been said many times, if you're gonna exhaust outside you're also sucking your heating outside in the winter and ac in the summer.

You may want to consider a good shopvac. Both of these tools are noisy but with the shop vac, you could build a box lined with carpet to dampen the noise and equip it with a good filter. The carpet can catch some of the dust exhausted. Just a thought.

Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you try to quieten it down or the wife/neighbors may try to kick you out.

Crashmph

Just a thought... If you are going to use the dust collector in the house and vent directly outside. you may want to consider that you will be pumping allow of "conditioned air" (cool/heat) right out the window. Or in your case, a hole in the wall. In the winter that could be a lot of money spent on wasted heat.

Tim beat me to it...

Last edited:

nava1uni

Why not use a mini cyclone with a shop vac using a muffler to keep down the noise. Oneida makes a mini cyclone and it is very good at making very little dust to be circulated in the air.

Top Bottom