Dust Collector

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PBorowick

So I am looking at adding a much needed dust collector to my garage shop. I can get a 2 hp HF for less than $200 or find one (Jet/Delta) on CL for about the same cost. My intent is to modify the system to add a dust deputy and vent it to the outside so I won't need a final filter.
Does anyone have experience with the HF system and would they recommend that over used Jet/Delta from CL? I'm also wondering if the impellers on a Jet/Delta would be better than what HF uses.
I have been through the Bill Pentz site and garnered quite a bit from there (hence the addition of the dust deputy).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

I can't answer your question re comparing the systems but keep in mind if you vent it outside you will be drawing all the heat or a/c out of your shop. That is why very few people do that. You also need to be aware how close you are to other houses and open windows and vents in your own house as you could draw fine sanding dust back into your house.

corks58

I built a small room just big enough for the dust collection and everything is outside including the noise. Wish I had of moved it out there when I first got it.

Thefozz

A few months back, I purchased Laguna's B | Flux Dust Collector. It has a 1 micron canister filter (no cloth bag) and is powered by a 1HP 110V motor. The big canister filter has a paddle within it that you can crank from time to time to clean it out. I like that feature a lot as I don't have to open up the unit, getting dust everywhere, to clean off the fins. Suction is excellent, and it's quiet enough to leave running while holding a conversation.
I use this DC for everything in my shop, from the table saw, to bandsaw, to lathe, to miter saw, sanders, router, etc. I don't mind wheeling it between stations for the space savings and my limited electrical power in the workshop (two 15A 110 circuits across multiple outlets). Since using this Laguna, I've gone from cleaning my 1st stage filtering on the air conditioner once a day to maybe once every 2 weeks. I don't have experience with other brands or types but I did a good bit of homework before committing to a system. For what it's worth, I'm 100% pleased with the results I'm getting from this Laguna dust collector. My Lathe and Bandsaw are also Laguna products and I've likewise been very happy with their build quality and performance.

MRDucks2

I have HF unit and have used it for about 2 years now, with no issues or concerns. Buy the most CFM you can get for what you are willing to spend, but there is an article on how the companies calculate their CFM. Not all are equal.

I bought the HF built a Thien Baffle using a Husky trash can with side intake and bought a Rikon impeller that is about 1" larger in diameter and has a reverse curve to the fins. I ended up with a little more suction with the Thien Baffle and impeller upgrade than I had with the unit as sold.

By the time I add the Wynn filter I will have higher flow, better dust collection and better chip collection for about $200 less than the non-green units with canister filter at retail price.

In the end, I believe the HF 2HP Dust Collector is probably one of the better values from HF for wood workers, provided to replace the bag to a better filter or vent elsewhere if possible.

budnder

I've had an HF\Dust Deputy combo going for over a year now and no regrets. I put a wireless remote on it a few months ago and that's the only real change since install. It's inside my big work room, and it's loud, but not so loud as to bother me. Dirty air exhausts outside.

Attachments

• 20180918_081419-864x1152.jpg
    20180918_081419-864x1152.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 145

Bryguy

I've been using the HF dust collector for three years. No problems. Hooked up to a huge trash can and a Very fine filter. I love it, but it is loud.

Top Bottom