Dust collector modification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

First, I'll go back and read the previous posts for my initial inquiries. Waiting for the local store to get one in stock. I have a Dust Deputy hooked to a Shop Vac. I'm thinking the DD can be connected to the DC in some way. Anyone done this? As I mentioned, I'll go back and search other threads and replies to "compile" a list of ideas. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

If you have the shop vac sized Dust Deputy, it will be too small for a dust collector.

As Ted said, there are MANY postings here on dust collection, including using the larger (super) Dust Deputy with a Dust Collector.

NJturner

Guys, thanks. You confirmed my suspicions. Will be checking the resources here.
So here is a pic of my latest creation - it started out as a Jet DC-1100 and is now a distant cousin. The main blower has been augmented with an Oneida Super Dust Deputy and the output goes into a Wynn Environmental woodworking filter, making the output pretty clean and dust free. Two collection buckets hold the larger chips (under the cyclone) and fine drop out dust (under the filter). Footprint is 24" x 40" and roughly 5' high. Could have used different sweeps for the connection, but I like the airflow provided by seamless pipe. Connection to my lathe and other tools is a 15' 4" flexible duct from Rockler. Works pretty nice! I am just still working on a lift mechanism for the chip bucket but for now the plywood spacers work OK.

IMG_2343.jpg

d_bondi

So here is a pic of my latest creation - it started out as a Jet DC-1100 and is now a distant cousin. The main blower has been augmented with an Oneida Super Dust Deputy and the output goes into a Wynn Environmental woodworking filter, making the output pretty clean and dust free. Two collection buckets hold the larger chips (under the cyclone) and fine drop out dust (under the filter). Footprint is 24" x 40" and roughly 5' high. Could have used different sweeps for the connection, but I like the airflow provided by seamless pipe. Connection to my lathe and other tools is a 15' 4" flexible duct from Rockler. Works pretty nice! I am just still working on a lift mechanism for the chip bucket but for now the plywood spacers work OK.
Looks good.

Here is what I did for the lift under the 30 gallon drum I used under my Super DD. Works like a champ!!

It uses a simple and inexpensive scissor type jack. I put PVC Pipe in the corners of the base with dowels down from the platform to keep everything aligned. T-Nuts into the bottom with feet allow for leveling it properly under the drum.

Attachments

• C704F8BF-2D8D-4DAD-93CF-C537D51D1FC6_1_105_c.jpeg
    C704F8BF-2D8D-4DAD-93CF-C537D51D1FC6_1_105_c.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 4ECE526E-19A5-401D-A99E-82798CF1AB9F_1_105_c.jpeg
    4ECE526E-19A5-401D-A99E-82798CF1AB9F_1_105_c.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    448.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 17480053-4BB1-4410-83A5-442B401D3479_1_105_c.jpeg
    17480053-4BB1-4410-83A5-442B401D3479_1_105_c.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 15

Woodchipper

So many ways to get the same result but better. HF DC isn't in yet but will be watching online for it.
Found a jack in the road a while back. Hmm.
Was in the local Woodcraft store today and noticed the Super Dust Deputy. It was mentioned my "regular" DD hooked to the Shop Vac would be too small.

d_bondi

So many ways to get the same result but better. HF DC isn't in yet but will be watching online for it.
Found a jack in the road a while back. Hmm.
Was in the local Woodcraft store today and noticed the Super Dust Deputy. It was mentioned my "regular" DD hooked to the Shop Vac would be too small.

To be sure... what are the size of the ports on your "regular" DD? Are they the 2/5" for shop vac use? If so, definitely too small for the amount of air that an actual dust collector moves.

Woodchipper

David, they are 2-1/2 inches for a regular DC hose. I noticed that the box for the Super DD was larger than what my DD would be.

NJturner

Looks good.

Here is what I did for the lift under the 30 gallon drum I used under my Super DD. Works like a champ!!

It uses a simple and inexpensive scissor type jack. I put PVC Pipe in the corners of the base with dowels down from the platform to keep everything aligned. T-Nuts into the bottom with feet allow for leveling it properly under the drum.
David - that is a pretty nice setup! I was thinking of some kind of a cam arm that would lift it, but the jack looks sweet. Not sure if I have that much space but if I do, would consider it. I think the pipe and dowel setup to keep it straight will be something I definitely will adopt because I left the lock ring on the drum and alignment is key to get it closed.

NJturner

David, they are 2-1/2 inches for a regular DC hose. I noticed that the box for the Super DD was larger than what my DD would be.
If you are going to use the HF dust collector vs a shop vac, you would need to upgrade to the Super Dust Deputy. Also, if you go up to the dust collector, if you use a 4" to 2.5" hose adapter you also need to figure out someway to add a 'make-up air' gate to keep the collector and the Super Dust Deputy operating fully. The Super Dust Deputy provides a few choices for input and output size, but all of them are at least 4", allowing the cyclonic action of the unit to function due to the volume of air going through the cyclone.

If you constrict the airflow by using a small adapter (say 2" or 2.5") to make a connection to a tool, the dust collector will be starved for air and the cyclone action will be seriously diminished causing your filter media to clog quickly and your blower to overheat. On mine, I use a 'Y' adapter that I configured with two blast gates on the top of the Y (2 in ports) and the dust collector attached to the bottom of the Y (the outport). The one input blast gate has a 2.5" adapter to 4" for connection to my sanders and the other has no adapter just open to the air. I use the 2.5" blast gate fully open and slowly open the 4" blast gate to provide the make-up air for the blower. You can hear the change in the blower noise when you get it close - open it too much and the 2.5 side loses a lot of suction. Blending it gives you the best of both worlds.

A DC works on air volume, a shop vac works by velocity of the air so you have to always consider the efficiency of the DC to be able to 'breath' to be able to run correctly. Length of piping, smooth pipe vs ridged, and the number of changes on direction all impact a DC, so be sure to consider how you will ulitmately connect your DC to your tools or work area. Check out the articles on the web by Bill Pence for more info on dust collection building and piping.

Woodchipper

NJturner, lots to consider and thanks for the detailed description. Will copy and print for reference as I get it together. Just hope I don't forget where I put it.

Top Bottom