Dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

Anyone know the impact of going from a 4" hose down to 2.5" on a dust collection system? I have a 1hp collector that has a 4" port coming off of it. I was going to run the hose to a lathe, bandsaw and floor collection point. Can I downsizer the hose to 2.5 going to each collection point or does that adversely impact the collection ability?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Yep.
It wont work.Not enough CFM's to keep the dust in suspenension.
In an earlier thread regarding dust collection(I thnk it was your psot) someone replied with a link to Bill Pentz's site.
Based on your question maybe you missed it.
If you read the info there you will have the answer to this and a lot of other questions.

beamer

Eagle said it all ... DC's operate differently than Vacuums. Vacuumes move a little bit of air really fast. DC's move a whole lot of air ... You need enough hose to supply that appetite. Bill's site's the place to go :)

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

jaywood1207

I'm not looking for trouble but I personally go from 4" to 2.5" and yes you do lose some suction but it does work but my 2.5" hose is only between 3 and 5 feet long. If you go longer you will see a huge difference in the suction. This is from my own experience only and not doubting or arguing with anybody elses opinion or experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom