Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephanie

What are people using for dust collection to their lathe? I have a wall mount Dust Right dust collector. Looking for suggestions regarding some sort of hood(?) that could be close to the toolrest but not get in the way of working? I have seen a few online, but do not want to waste my money on something that looks good, but doesn't work well. I also am hoping that I don't need to spend a fortune on one.

Thanks in Advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

The answers could seriously damage your purse / wallet!

I have a nozzle on flexable home linked to a 2000w extractor by 4" ducting.

I also have a ceiling mounted filter unit which has a timer and i leave running for an hour after I finish. Also use a trend air helmet ( now an "air cap " I believe) . The latter is the first thing I would buy as it gives you filtered clean air over your face AND face protection. You only get one set of,lungs after all.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I use a hood, mounted behind the lathe, connected to my central collection system. It has a clamp so I can easily reposition it where I need. Not sure where I got the hood - I think it's intended for a router table or other enclosure because it has mounting holes. Connects to a 4" hose.

IMG_1548.JPG

guitarchitect

I use the small rockler scoop/hood with guard, it works well! i don't know if the guard is necessary, if you have a shield - i find it hard to "see through" because it's a flat reflective surface.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use something similar to what Jeff has. When I lived overseas, I started with something simple as he showed, and when I moved back home, I installed something similar. Mine is a bit closer, but still behind the lathe. It isn't complicated but does take a tiny bit of ingenuity. Adjustable helps.

OH, I see that Jeff's is adjustable forwards and back by the use of a clamp.

eharri446

Rockler sell this:

Dust Right® Lathe Dust Collection System plus Lathe Chip Deflector

It works fine, however, if you have the Dust Right wall mounted collector, you will need a four inch to two inch adapter to make it work. Also, they sell a remote control for turning the dust collector on and off.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Here's another photo to give more options. The brackets were a cloths rack. Attached to the ceiling joists. The black inlet can be moved L-R and angled closer or further back. The back attachment can be modified to whatever diameter you are using.

Attachments

• 0A161B75-B704-481E-AF4B-6AD73414C0E7.jpeg
    0A161B75-B704-481E-AF4B-6AD73414C0E7.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 235

sorcerertd

I bought a "big gulp" dust hood, originally intending to make something for the contractor style table saw I have, but ended up using it behind the lathe instead. I screwed it onto a board and just clamped the board to the stand. Don't mind the mess. The shop is a disaster. I just move the hoses to the table saw (I made something else for that), or the bandsaw when needed. The trash can catches the big chips and most of the dust.

Attachments

• 20210401_212600.jpg
    20210401_212600.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 20210401_212614.jpg
    20210401_212614.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 206

jttheclockman

I have an older PSI dust hood that use to have a lid on it but took that off. It has a magnetic base so I can position it along the lathe anywhere I want. Works real well. It will not suck up large bits but is more for dust control. That is what will have a health effect on you. DUST. Large particles will not hurt you. Also use it when applying CA because it takes the fumes away and I never had a reaction to CA.

Stephanie

I have a Rockler lathe hood . Then I use a shop-vac with a Dust Deputy to provide suction. If you get one of the Dust Deputies, be sure to drill several holes in the bottom bucket, or you will hone your swearing skills trying to get the collector out to empty it. DAMHIKT
I ended up getting the POWERTEC Mini Gulp Dust Hood with 4" Port & the Shop Fox Dust Heavy Duty Stand.
I connected that to my Dust Right Dust Separator that is connected to my Dust Right Wall-Mount Dust Collector. Seems to work pretty well.
I may have to go your route. I didn't see that before. (I just looked back at what other people suggested and someone else mentioned the Rockler Lathe Hood, UGH!)I can always use what I bought for my miter saw. Another pain to try and get good dust collection with.

[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
Top Bottom