Dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon Nutting

So I've watched videos, read articles and browsed product descriptions online and of course everyone has their own opinions on dust collection. I have a small shop (I use my 2 car garage) and only use 1 machine at a time. I currently wheel around a single stage collector to different machines. I'd like to have a mounted collector and have a relatively short duct ran with blast gates as all my tools that produce a good amount of dust are along the same wall. Any thoughts on what type/model of collector is best for the job?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jonkou

My advice would be to keep it simple and stick with your portable single stage. Use the money for a capability or tools you don't have. Been using the canister portable for the past ten years on the bandsaw, table saw and lathe sanding with excellent results. The bag unit stays with the sander because it's used for short durations frequently.

5B47FE85-9DD4-4EFD-9481-D24617FF3ED9.jpeg

bmachin

If you're willing to spend the money, Oneida will help you design a wall-mount system if you send them a shop layout sketch. The design work is free; the equipment is pricey but in a completely different league from most home shop stuff. I did it 20 years ago and was pleased with the result.

Bill

hcpens

What are your lungs and health worth to you and your coworker or pets? Using a BAG type of filter is OK in an open area shop but not in a closed one with restricted airflow.

Curly

Firstly you should spend the hours and read Bill Pentz's site on dust collection. Lots there, a difficult read and repetitive in some places but well worth the week of evenings to take it all in. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.php

For a short run of duct along the wall a 2hp with cartridge filters is a minimum using 6" ducting with minimal hoses. Hoses have 3 times the drag of smooth pipe. So 10 feet of hose equals 30 feet of duct.

6" flows 3 times as much air as a 4" duct can. 1,200cfm verses 400cfm no matter what DC it is attached to. You want the flow to capture the fine dust.

Difference between many 2hp and 3hp DCs is not a bigger impeller (most are 12") but the extra filter allowing more airflow. Better is a 3hp with a 13" or bigger impeller with the 2 filters.

DC CFM numbers are generally about double what they can actually live up to. The test is usually with no filters and only enough duct for a test probe in the middle where the air flows the fastest.

There you have my opinion and suggestions as to what to look for. My shop is above a 2 car garage and I'll be putting in a 5hp CV Max and I believe that is a minimum. ;)

jttheclockman

One thing and always amazed at when people ask about dust collecting is no one here has any idea of your shop size, no one knows your work habits. No one knows what tools you have and want to connect. So as all the suggestions you will get are just that suggestions. But let me throw some facts at you. When you say dust collector, what tools are you running that is producing dust and if they are where are they producing it??? Most tools such as planers, tablesaws, bandsaws, jointers, scrollsaws, drill presses do not produce the dust you are talking about. They produce chips and larger pieces of material. Your tools that are hardcore dust makers are your sanders. They are the ones that you need to focus on. Now what you also want is to scrub the air so an air cleaner is more important. All the tools that I mentioned that are more chip makers do produce dust also to a degree but look where that dust comes from. Top of the saw, top of the planer bed, and so on. These tools have dust ports but that is just a place to catch the debris off the bottom of the blades. What happens on top needs more duct work and gadgets to collect the fine dust. No shop is dust free no matter what collector you use. You will not be using more than one tool at a time unless you are multi person shop. So do not go crazy on and get caught up with bigger is better. Size it to your largest chip producing tool and include the pipe run. There are formulas and believe one of those links has them. No need to take 6" hoses to a machine. If you can make your pipe run 6" and drop off with 4" and at times 2" for smaller tools. But again pay attention to the true dust makers, the sanders.

Gee I forgot the ever popular lathe. A lathe is a chip producer and the dust comes from the sanding portion done on a lathe. Zeroing in on how you collect that dust will help with any sized dust collector.

Jon Nutting

Lots of great replies and things to think about guys, really appreciate it! I'll review the materials and do my research. Keeping my family and myself in good health is of upmost importance so wanted to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks again guys, I'll post a reply if I get stumped.

SteveG

Sobering news here. MOST power tools produce the very fine dust that is a health hazard. I used to think that tools like a jointer essentially produce larger shavings, which were not a problem for my lungs, since I have yet to breath in a "shaving". I was mistaken. The high speed cutting action produces both BIG shavings and tiny dust. Walking across the shop kicks up tiny dust, if it is there. The safe answer is to use dust collection that grabs the tiny stuff...as much of it as possible, and employ an effective air cleaner, and in many cases use a dust mask.

As woodworkers, a little research will prove very beneficial to your health!

jttheclockman

My point exactly Steve. Tools of those nature will produce largely chips but also dust but you will never catch all the dust at those dust ports on tools. They are not well designed to do that. Festool does a good job but they do not make large machines. Dust is always in the air and you need to scrub the air. Have the best dust collector around and still look at all the nooks and crannies in the shop and see how much dust lies there. Prove is there. Dust masks are important tool in the shop also.

howsitwork

Air filtered helmets are good and provide face protection too, said he who has just been turning some african blackwood without using his šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

Ceiling mounted air cleaners are also useful, get one with a timer so you can leave it running as you walk away.

Top Bottom