Dust collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Madman1978

I have very limited space here, but I need effective dust collection. Seems this dust is hammering my sinus's.
as well as a face mask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I have a big shopvac attached to a HomeDepot vortex collector on a small cart that I wheel around to different machines to catch dust. Also have a couple of ceiling mounted dust filters to catch the finer stuff that floats around in the air. I also have 3d printed dust collection hoods that fit over my lathes for catching a lot of the lathe chips and dust. About to construct a small downdraft table for hand sanding dust collection.

Probably most important for your sinuses would be to invest in a decent face mask. I would recommend a P100 particulate respirator mask (don't know about availability or cost now during Covid times; I bought mine pre-Covid for a little under $50 if I recall correctly). Also, be aware that some woods cause irritant and/or allergic reactions, so you may want to check into that and limit exposure to working with those.

monophoto

Michael

I don't have room for a full dust collection system. Instead, I use a combination of a small fan mounted over my lathe to blow dust away from me (as suggested by Capt. Eddie), and a face mask.

I chose this mask based on a recommendation from a guy who does power carving (which also creates a lot of very fine dust).
1607014817430.png

The mask itself is washable, and has a replaceable carbon filter (which I think is N99), and exhalation valves that help prevent my glasses from fogging when I'm wearing it. The Base Camp model is available in any color you want as long as you like black, but there are similar masks from other manufacturers that come in other colors. One of the hidden features is that because the mask covers your face, it helps keep your face warm in a cold shop.

One potential negative - the replaceable filter is made of 'melt-blown' plastic fabric which can be a bit abrasive if you wear the mask for extended periods. I wore one for 11 hours straight, an it was like using sandpaper on the bridge of my nose! But for a few hours at a time it's quite comfortable.

The fact that it has exhalation valves means that its not suitable for COVID protection.

Last edited:

WriteON

Be sure whatever you choose is made for dust. I made the classic mistake of using a Shop Vac years ago The dust goes through the filter back into the room.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A GOOD face mask is a necessity, especially if you have sinus problems. I had to move from "face mask" to "Respirator" way back when. I have 5 such respirators. There is a difference too.
Face masks are generally rated x95 but Louie posted an N99 one. That is good!
Respirators (good ones) are rated x99. Sinuses can tell the difference. Respirators prevent blow-by. I have never had blow-by into my glasses (caused fogging) with good respirators, but I do with cloth/paper filter kinds. Your milage may vary considerably from mine.

Look up Respirators on Amazon and buy a back up set of replaceable filters.
Respirators help with gas and vapors, which helped me overcome the CA "gassing off" allergies.

Dust collectors are VERY helpful also, but the super fine dust still blows through unless you invest several hundred dollars in a DC system. If you know what you are doing, know where to buy the right kind of filters and attach them, you might be able to make a good DC system for less that works only with the lathe. The key will be a DC system with the right filter.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

I am trying to improve my dust collection now as well. Here are some of the things that I thought about:
1.) Pressure versus volume: Shop Vacs (whatever the actual brand) will produce lower pressure but also less volume. Dust collection blowers are larger and produce more flow but their minimum pressures are higher (less suction). The equipment in my shop (bandsaw, table saw, lathe, disk/belt sander - all relatively small) will benefit more from lower pressure versus higher volume. A lot of the larger professional grade equipment needs the large volume to function properly, look at the hose attachment size on the equipment -- 4" then use DC blower and for 2" use a shop vac. The one possible exception in my shop is the lathe, I think it would probably do better with dust collection blower, but doing small stuff like pens I should be able to position the hose close enough to the work to get decent results. The automatic assumption is that a 4" DC blower system will be better in all cases, but that isn't necessary true, especially for small equipment a shop vac might actually be better and cheaper.
2.) Space and noise: DC blower systems are large and take up a lot of space. Both types are noisy, so consider some type of sound dampening
3.) Filtering: Already mentioned here, but I suggest getting a cyclone separator (the dust deputy tends to get the best reviews). This will minimize the amount of dust making it to your filter. This will also allow you to use a finer filter without needing to replace as frequently. I have a Rigid vac and there are 3 different particle size filters, I am trying the medium. However, an air cleaning type filter (ceiling mounted style) might also be necessary. The DC blower systems often have a filter that is easier to clean, but given the size and cost I still decided to go the shop vac route.
4.) Hoses: set up your hoses so your system is out of the way and easy to use. But minimize hose length and maximize hose diameter. Here is a video done by Matthias Wandel that demonstrates some of the trade-offs:

I use a Trend Air/Pro while doing my cutting and stuff that creates a lot of dust. Expensive but worth it if you have sinus issues like I do. Prior to buying the Trend I used N95 masks but they always made my glasses fog up. When I get lazy or don't want to use the Trend I use a shop vac system. I have a big JC Penney shop vac (It's old...really old, but it works great so no laughing), and I've got it attached to my belt/disc sander with a hood my father in law made for me many years ago. Works great. I also have a small Sears shop vac that I use as a portable system that I can move around the shop. I use hand turned adapters to fit each tool, works very well. In the summer months my dust reduction system is two windows opened up. The windows are on opposite walls so it works pretty well. Doesn't work in the winter though when it's -30 outside.

Let me know what you come up with. My wife and I are moving away from our mountain home next year to be closer to our daughter and Docs/Hospital and I'll be outfitting a new shop. I have no idea what I'm going to do for a dust collection system. So I'm all ears...please share.

howsitwork

Depending upon space the air helmet type masks are really good but not cheap. Can't get new lungs though ! I'm tempted to make a down draft table but haven't as yet I do have 2 ceiling mounter 0.5 micron filters though and I use them

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - First of all, I am in no way any kind of expert on dust collection systems; however, I do have a small basement shop with most of my tools (table saw, miter saw, planer, etc. all mounted on mobile stands so that I can roll them in and out of the center of the room when I need to use them.

For dust collection, I have been using (and am very happy with) the following. I have a big 25 gallon Shop Vac plugged into a remote on/off switch made for inductive loads. I have a Dust Deputy, two bucket cyclone separator (5 gallon plastic pails), the $100 model, connected to the Shop Vac which collects the dust and debris very well. I also have a drywall bag in the Shop Vac in case there are any fines that don't fall out in the cyclone. After more than 3 years I have never had to replace the filter bag and the Shop Vac continues to have plenty of suction.

Although the vacuum and Dust Deputy are both on wheels, I have them tucked under a shelf and only need to move them out when I need to dump the bucket. I have a Dust Right 2-1/2 Expandable Shop Hose (Rockler) connected to the Dust Deputy - it is a very stretchy hose that stretches from about 2-3 feet to 12 feet. I manually move the hose from tool to tool as necessary when I am working in the shop. Most of them had a 2-1/2 inch port anyway, but a couple (like my bandsaw) needed a 4 inch to 2-1/2 inch adapter. I also have a claw tool and regular floor tool that I hook to the hose to clean up any chips and over-spray from the various machines.

With hoses, adapters, fittings, the Shop Vac and the Dust Deputy, I have less than $500 tied up in the whole System. If I had the room, I would have loved to have a full size 4-inch system, and I am sure that a 4-inch true dust collection system would be much more efficient, but considering the limited space I have I am very happy with the compromise I made. The hardest part is maintaining the discipline to move the hose around and switch on the vacuum when I am only going to make a quick cut on something. There are lots of systems, options and ideas out there - I'm sure with patience and research you will find a system that is ideal for your small shop and situation.

Regards,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1029 Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1029 Cropped.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 89

Madman1978

For all to know I have no workshop. I turn the pens here in my living room. (I live alone) I have a small one-bedroom with far too much stuff. I am eyeing the one with Harbor Freight. I just made a spice rack and I set up the miter saw in the kitchen! and I store the tools throughout the apartment. I even have wood storage between 3 door frames overhead. Works great.

Ray-CA

I have very limited space here, but I need effective dust collection. Seems this dust is hammering my sinus's.
as well as a face mask.
I built one of these:

Works well for what it is (even hooked up to my table saw)

Ray

PS: I have it plugged into a wireless on/off switch and keep the switch hanging from my belt.

Last edited:

mnerland

Sounds like you are living the dream of "living in your workshop". I would have some concerns about that for your health. A one Bedroom apartment is not the best place for a "shop", but who am I to say? Dust collection? You already have one.....it's your HVAC system ....check your filters, you'll see. If you have room for all the dust collection suggestions, than by all means go for it. Otherwise, get the best mask/respirator you can find and clean up constantly.

Madman1978

Sounds like you are living the dream of "living in your workshop". I would have some concerns about that for your health. A one Bedroom apartment is not the best place for a "shop", but who am I to say? Dust collection? You already have one.....it's your HVAC system ....check your filters, you'll see. If you have room for all the dust collection suggestions, than by all means go for it. Otherwise, get the best mask/respirator you can find and clean up constantly.
I really do not have much choice of working at "Home" lol

This is an OLD building HVAC? lol, I have steam radiators and this place is always HOT! and Dry! and I am always cleaning.

MRDucks2

How much will noise be an issue? Are you isolated from your neighbors? Dust collectors aren't exactly quiet and the ones that are quieter are a bit expensive for the CFM produced, though they tend to be well thought of machines.

henry1164

I built one of these:

Works well for what it is (even hooked up to my table saw)

Ray

PS: I have it plugged into a wireless on/off switch and keep the switch hanging from my belt.
"Wireless on/off switch."....you, sir, are a genius!!!!! I've been stepping back and forth between my lathe and the on/off switch of the vacuum. I will be saving steps from now on......

bmachin

The Trend Air Shield Pro was mentioned above and seems to be a favorite of those who are willing to shell out the 400+ bucks required to obtain one. I know that several members here own one and seem to be quite satisfied.

FWIW, I purchased a JSP Power Cap from Peke Safety at the Tennessee Woodturner's Symposium and am quite happy with it. It isn't any cheaper than the Trend but weighs about 1/2 pound (about 20%) less. I have no connection with either Peke or JSP and have seen on a woodworking board somewhere that it can be had cheaper by ordering direct from the UK. Peke is here if you're interested:

Bill

Top Bottom