dust collection on lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRoberts

Hello all,

I finally breathed the bullet and bought a dust collection system 2hp 70gal at HF for 169.00 on sale.

I am wondering if anyone has a picture of a good system for gathering dust/bits that come off the work while turning pens. I have tried a box I built about 10" long by 6" wide but that was too open, I have also placed the 4" hose near mandrel which worked better but still not what I have in mind.. HELP!

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnson

The shavings are hard to catch with a collector as they fly mostly back at you. I run my collector below the spindle when I am turning and on top as close as possible when sanding. I also use a 4" TO 6" adaptor as a collection hood. It is the sanding dust that is going to give you breathing problems moreso than the shavings. I use a positive air flow face shield when I am sanding.

wpenm

Try this. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dlhoodc.html I have one on each lathe with blast gates. They work great IMHO.[:D] You can use 1" clamps and clamp them to a mini lathe.

SteveRoberts

Thanks all! I do wear a face shield and a respirator, just wanted to get as much of the hazard out of the way before those two lines of defense took over, previously I just used fan mounted on lathe exension to shoot it past me, worked fine but downwind looked like a woodcraft exploded.

Steve

Johnathan

I normally turn the collection on only when I'm sanding. I clean up everything else when I'm all done. I've been using a hood that has a wood stand with magnets built from an article here.

I use this little hood for collecting shavings and dust from my lathe. I found it in a harbor freight catalog, but I think you can get it from some of the other woodworking suppliers as well.

I made a little articulated arm out of some 1/4 inch bolts and flat steel that lets me position it close to the work.

200641417027_dusthood.jpg

I find that it collects maybe 75% or so of the shavings, which can help a lot. Where it really helps is with sanding, as it creates enough of a breeze to suck up all the sanding dust.

The little arm mount is nice, as it moves with the tool rest, if I'm working on larger than pen turnings.

woodwish

I have same hood as above, don't remember where I bought it but all the catalogs have one. Doesen't get many of the chips but is worth it's weight in gold when sanding. Mine is mounted on a t-track that allows movement up and down the ways, and also back and forth when I turn larger stuff. I have considered custom making all kinds of fancy hoods and collections system, but truth is that the one above works pretty good and the broom gets the rest.

Scottydont

Check out my article on the penturners.org main page on that very subject. It is held to the lathe by rare earth magnets.

http://www.penturners.org/content/DustHood1.pdf

2006414233251_DSCF0070%20Small.jpg
<br />

Daniel

I need something like the ones above. but with a 6" port for the hose. all the ones I have seen are 4". the other idea I had was to have the 4" port and a second 2" hose for cleanup of the larger chips. 6" may not leave any chips though.

old folks

Steve, I am in no way trying to be smart... try to get in to the habit of taking very light cuts when you turn and most times you will only have to deal with saw dust and very light shavings. You will also learn better control of your lathe tools.

Pipes

Anything dangerous in the platics on the market you folks know about ?? do you need to wear protection sanding plastics ?? And I agree its the sanding DUST that a get ya ! and I never seen a collector that would colect the chips flying back at you but a good small one a take care of MOST of them and all the sanding dust IMHO

OSCAR15

Pipes: Not sure exactly, but I for one would rather not breathe in sanded plastics. Probably a hellofalot more harmful than sanded wood.
The only thing I wana breathe in is the smoke from a cigar.

angboy

Originally posted by Daniel
<br />I need something like the ones above. but with a 6" port for the hose. all the ones I have seen are 4". the other idea I had was to have the 4" port and a second 2" hose for cleanup of the larger chips. 6" may not leave any chips though.

Highland Hardware has a lot of convertor hose adapter thingy's- you might be able to find what you need there:

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=337&SetPageSize=75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom