durable finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

I am sure this question has been done to death but here goes. Is there any rub on finish that is REALLY durable? no kidding. One that will stand up to daily use. I usually use spray on deft, but have had "problems" with that if the wood is not prefectly smooth. I sometimes would like the wood grain to be able to be felt without having a finish that wears off. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Go out and buy this months issue of Fine Woodworking, they did a real good article on "wipe on finishes" I read it while in the book store. Why buy it when you can drink coffee and read it for free [:D] From what I recall (maybe that would be a good reason to buy it) The Minwax products faired the best, and so did Waterlox, which I have used on alot of pens.

wicook

I read the article while in the store, too, Tony...should we be admitting to such frugalness (new word, I suspect)?[:D] What's been your experience on drying times for pens? The Minwax can calls for several hours of cure time between coats. Is that kind of time required for several light applications or can it be speeded up a bit...OK...a lot?

its_virgil

OK...Here is the secret to what is the best finish. I've hesitated to share this but the time has come to let everyone in on the secret. The best thing to use as a finish...drum roll please...is Elbow grease.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />OK...Here is the secret to what is the best finish. I've hesitated to share this but the time has come to let everyone in on the secret. The best thing to use as a finish...drum roll please...is Elbow grease.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Combined with a liberal dose of intelligence

Dario

I am not sure how Tung oil will stack with others but so far it is my favorite finish. It does take long to cure...even with Texas heat [:D]

I am very interested on knowing how it compares to lacquer (beauty and durability). If anyone has done a comparison I would like to know.

Lacquer is the next finish I am planning on experimenting. If only I can pull out using Tung oil for now.

vick

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />OK...Here is the secret to what is the best finish. I've hesitated to share this but the time has come to let everyone in on the secret. The best thing to use as a finish...drum roll please...is Elbow grease.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Combined with a liberal dose of intelligence

well I am in trouble then I can manage the elbow grease, but the intelligence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom